General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

What was the import car scene like in the 90's?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadRacer
People are only thinking about drag racing. I was racing (autocross) my Rabbit GTi in 1989 and then road racing my 77 Scirocco and 90 Corrado in mid 90's. Imports have been in the racing scene for many, many years - just not drag racing. My 77 Scirocco had a 16v engine and transmission swap - Mini me swaps were real popular in the early Honda days.

Not my Scirocco, but one that was raced in Europe in the late 70's

I remember team green, glenn's red crx and slim's crx beeing quick from a drag racing stand point and this was in the late part of the 90's... maybe 97 or 98.

240's weren't real popular until later, when SR swaps became plentiful.

well i think it has something to do with them talking about the streets, if you are doing anything but straight line running on a street you need to be removed from a car.

i think i saw my first mega riced out car in 98 or 99 (i was still little i'm 21 now), it was a eclipse in white with clear tailights and white bulbs (looked like head lights when he braked) giant over sized wing, ugliest body kit that could of been made for that car and bright purple neons.
1989 mustang lx, n/a 8.2 deck 302 block, just your average street car.
project
1973 plymouth 340 'cuda

Last edited by slow306stang; 08-26-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 PM
I can fix your bullshit

There was definately an import seen up north .but mostly rotarys we use to call them the low rider racers lol.staten island was the place to go see them .but wasnt as popular as the regular car seen.although some were real fast .....was always cool to hang with them it was line um up and go all night long ...not like the gay shit today...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

Originally Posted by dan
tony, there is an exact replica of your celica for sale near me out here, but it has a cowl hood. I inquired about it since the body was otherwise in great shape (similar/same red wine color too)...it has a big ass v8 in it and they wanted too much.
That would be nice to see, its been a LONG time since I've come across a nice early to mid 70s celica GT.

Crazy Camber, Stretch & Poke; its the new triple-stack-bleacher-wing ricer fad that's all the rage nowadays, lol
Old 08-27-2010, 04:50 AM
That One Guy

The Imports I saw were Mazdas, Toyotas and Hondas, probley cause I was in the spanish comunity, and god knows we love them RX3's, Starlets, Corollas, Datsuns, and I remember a few honda's, at the time, all I ever saw was the 89-91 civics with custom pvc intakes, and and I forgot to mention, my dad has always been into the old import scene, he has 3 67 toyota coronas. My cousin had swaped a spoon built b16 into his hatch, way back in like 97. 98. I remember cause we went to the movies to watch the first matrix, and he had already finish building his honda, at the time i was clueless, much like now adays, but he spend a whole!!!!! lotta money on the engine and swap... He still has the hatch till this day... All tho back then his hatch was riced out! but quick, not its alot cleaner and hes all about jdm goodies. But just saying, the import scene has been around since the 90s, mostly in major cities, and tampa wasnt a huge melting pot like it is now, and like how jersey and ny have been for years.

It was always important to go to english town in jersey and go to the Piston Vs Rotary drag races! I loved seeing them lil brap brap hatchs stomping on v8 built drag cars!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Do It In The Dirt

Originally Posted by S60R
Werd . . . Here was my late 80s, early 90s project car.

Holy shit! I know who you are! Nice to see you back Tony.

My Rail Buggy
Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Do It In The Dirt

In the early days of the import scene, I think there was more respect for imports, because the only ones you saw at the street races were decently quick. There was a guy (I think named Paul) that had a red Civic hatch with a B18 swap and some bolt ons that was running solid 13's. He used to give my Mustang fits. There was a really quick blue Starion that sounded like a fighter jet flying by. There were a couple of quick Talon/Eclips/GSX's. Of cours Bryan's civic hatch that also ran solid 13's. A guy named Curt I think who had a Jackson Racing/nitrous civic hatch that ran 11's on slicks. And of course a good friend of mine Dave had an 11 sec 300zx (85). These were all daily driven by "kids" in high school or right out of HS. No stickers, no wings, no bullshit.

It was the early days of Turbo Magazine, when they featured Mustangs, Grand Nationals, and fast out of the ordinary imports (not just riced out Hondas). Turbo's were still a mystery to most people, but the people that had figured out it was the way to go fast were starting to go fast.

My Rail Buggy

Last edited by Just Dave; 08-27-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 AM
That One Guy

I love how the old farts are catching up on good ol times, lol jk guys
Old 08-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Do It In The Dirt

It was the good times before the Fast and Furious movies. We were racing 4 nights a week in different parts of town. My wife and I really had a good time driving around and screwing off. We met alot of good people and made alot of memories that I still cherish to this day.

My Rail Buggy
Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 AM
bassheadsent.net

the racing scene was way better back in the day. could run all night worst that would happen is cops come out and ask us to go somewhere else....
Old 08-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Do It In The Dirt

Yeah, I remember one night I was racing my buddy in his black 300zx, I was in my black mustang. No headlights, top of 4th gear (over 100mph). We blew right past a cop. We got pulled over, but not even a warning. This was at 4th street near Gandy.

My Rail Buggy