General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

What was the import car scene like in the 90's?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Registered Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was the import car scene like in the 90's?

Its funny to think I drive a 15 year old car that I consider newer. IMO the best cars Japanese import wise were created during this time. Think of the cars we search for and want today, now think, these cars are actual old! How has time gone by so fast? I was too young to realize what was up in the car scene in the 90's. I honestly cant say that I remember seeing imports modded. Cars that stand out to me today must have blended in and were just regular cars. Honda wise, what was it like when the 1st B series appeared in a different chassis? What was that like to go to a car show and seeing a motor from an Integra in a Civic? What about seeing a 240 with a SR? Or a 240 with an RB? How about a Datsun with an RB? Who thought of it? What was it like to see something like this when it was new and in its prime? Think the new models coming out were what we drive now and dump a bunch of money into. Who discovered you could build a 2JZ and get incredible HP numbers? I wish I could go back in time and see when these were new vehicles and what people did with them. Just think of the cars that were produced during the 90's and the pioneers of it. So those that were older in this decade, I ask you... what was it like? I remember most the fast and furious stage of cars lol. When neons were considered "cool" and body kits making cars look like something completely different were "awesome" lmao. What would really be amazing if if someone had photos from imports at the time. Long live the 90's lol

Honda builds go from yay to gay in the matter of a K.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Mr. NiceGuy

I don't know, I just watched the fast and the furious and started driving my econobox erratically. I'm sure thats how the honda scene started...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 AM

it was better since you were still riding a tricycle.
honda hybrids, nos 240's, frankensteins, and im only 27. just go talk to someone to who is 30-35 in the import scene, buy him some rounds, and im sure youll have a great night filled with great conversations.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Got traction?

What import car scene? lol. I don't remember seeing much out at Gandy at that time. It was all domestic except for maybe a poopra or some high end import.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 AM
That One Guy

Originally Posted by Taylorinalaska
I don't know, I just watched the fast and the furious and started driving my econobox erratically. I'm sure thats how the honda scene started...

F&F doesnt even focus on Honda's, thank god
Old 08-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bitemark46
What import car scene? lol. I don't remember seeing much out at Gandy at that time. It was all domestic except for maybe a poopra or some high end import.
Ditto.

We had The Dukes of Hazzard, Smokey and the Bandit, Bullit, Vanashing Point, and other great movies to guide us in the direction of our car choices.

70's car scene- left over used cars from the 60's and 50's

80's car scene- heavily modified cars rfom teh 70's since gas prices killed any performance

90's car scene- not too many production cars worth a damn till the late 80's and into the 90's. Still mostly classic muscle cars and the new mustangs and gm's of the day

today- Mom's old civic or 240. Although there are killler produciton cars at all levels, most of the entry level car enthusiasts drive hand me down POS's or somethig ncheap they could afford.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 AM
That One Guy

^ That post makes you look so stupid.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by edmel89
^ That post makes you look so stupid.
And why is that?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Taylorinalaska
lol TIA ftmfw! was there even an import scene in the 90's? either way, I wish the import "scene" would die a horrible death.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Biodizzle
lol TIA ftmfw! was there even an import scene in the 90's? either way, I wish the import "scene" would die a horrible death.
The big 3's revived muscle car war is helping that along.