Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

what will it take to run at least 12's in the 1/4?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Registered Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what will it take to run at least 12's in the 1/4?

I am wondering what it will take to run 12's or better in the 1/4 mile. This would be in a Civic lets say biggest scenario a sedan. I was thinking B18 boosted but how much to get it to run that? I want it to be street legal drive to the track, race it, and drive home type of thing. The interior intact and not gutted at all. From looking at specs it looks like the main difference in B18's is the compression ratio which more compression is more power. But if you turbo it and change the pistons anyways then it wont matter. I could be very wrong though.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Cool Runnings

lots of money if you having it done.

She can pop it she can lock it ........ I'M IN LOVE WITH A HONDA

R.I.P. DELROY MANDERSON SR. 1-30-73 ~ 9-19-02

THE FEW
THE STRONG
THE BRAVE
NATURALLY ASPIRATED

TR "OLD SKOOL EF MEMBER" #05
Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Registered Hater

Originally Posted by Old Renegade
lots of money if you having it done.
well on ebay I found a few B18 lowest was $1500 and I found one for $2000 transmission and all. Then I found a turbo kit for it that was $1000. I heard something about 7-9PSI being fine on all the stock parts but 7-9PSI I highly doubt will get you in the 12's. I saw a list on here of a bunch of drag times and they went into the 9's. Hopefully someone could shed some light as to how much HP would be needed to have all the luxuries but run 12's in the 1/4. I dont plan on doing this anytime soon I was just curious as to what it takes because thats my plan 12 second street civic.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Great White Hope

there is no need for ebay when you got TR! you can find a whole b18b1 swap on here for roughly $800. then you can rebuild that b18b1 and apply more boost and a tune and maybe reach 12's, if it is done right.

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least
."

TR "Old Skool DA" Member #28
Old 12-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Not harsh, just truthful

Originally Posted by FoxHondaRider
I am wondering what it will take to run 12's or better in the 1/4 mile. This would be in a Civic lets say biggest scenario a sedan. I was thinking B18 boosted but how much to get it to run that? I want it to be street legal drive to the track, race it, and drive home type of thing. The interior intact and not gutted at all. From looking at specs it looks like the main difference in B18's is the compression ratio which more compression is more power. But if you turbo it and change the pistons anyways then it wont matter. I could be very wrong though.
This is an EXTREMELY general question. I honestly think you need to do more research and read alot more to set goals. Do you have the civic yet or are you just asking for the future?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Garage Slut

First off... What B18 do you speak of? B18A/B LS motor non vtec. or B18C1/C5 GSR/Type R Motor Vtec. The compression on the LS motors is pretty low. 9.2:1 with 140 stock horsepower
Making them ideal for turbo applications. As far as a stock motor goes.
The compression ration on a GSR is 10.4:1 or 10.6:1 with 180 horsepower at the crank depending if its USDM or JDM. You could run a good amount of boost also on the stock motor as well with a good tune. Don't buy ebay turbo kits. The manifolds are known to crack under high temperatures. You could also piece together a more reliable kit for less money. Also if you're planning on your motor being reliable(AKA drive it on a daily basis.) Being cheap about buiding it(Buying everything off e-bay(pistons,rings,main/rod bearings, turbo kits)) Will certainly make your motor less reliable. I hope this helps you
Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
honda civic

good luck keep an alarm on it!
lol

Ya boy wit the clean teal green civic, with the jdm headlight and that gsr interior, and that single cam non vtec, the chiped ecu, headers and gun meatal rota slips, the tv's from the roof, indash jensen, and that viper alarm that keeps yall away from haveing it all!
Old 12-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Registered Hater

Originally Posted by Paulino
This is an EXTREMELY general question. I honestly think you need to do more research and read alot more to set goals. Do you have the civic yet or are you just asking for the future?

yes I do have a civic. I would end up buying another one though because the one I have now is an automatic and that will cost a lot more to convert to manual to do the swap.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Not harsh, just truthful

yes I do have a civic. I would end up buying another one though because the one I have now is an automatic and that will cost a lot more to convert to manual to do the swap.
It will actually cost you less to do an automatic to manual swap than to get a whole other vehicle obviously. Or is it that you want to keep an automatic as a daily driver and a manual boosted car as a project? Don't rely on Ebay for anything important motor related if you are looking towards reliability. and +1 on what variant of the B18 engine?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Registered Hater

Originally Posted by Paulino
It will actually cost you less to do an automatic to manual swap than to get a whole other vehicle obviously. Or is it that you want to keep an automatic as a daily driver and a manual boosted car as a project? Don't rely on Ebay for anything important motor related if you are looking towards reliability. and +1 on what variant of the B18 engine?
How much is it for the auto to manual swap? I would like to have it as an everyday driver if I can. Short shifts and not hitting much boost it will still get good gas milage and what not. I really dont know what B18 to go with. VTEC and boost looks crazy lol I would like to have VTEC so B18C dont know whether to get 1 or 5. Actualy thinking about it now a low 13 second car is pretty quick. I see an srt4 complely stock runs a 13.9. If I can beat that I would be satisfied. They have what 230HP and 260ft lbs? So I need to figure out how much HP is needed to run a low 13 or high 12. they are a 2.4L turbo 15PSI making 230HP and 260ft lbs thats kinda sad. WRX and EVO are 2.4 or 2.5L turbo making 300HP. B18 is 1.8 correct?