General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Registering a car from Japan in FL?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registering a car from Japan in FL?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has possibly done this before and could help me through the process or knows a title agent that can handle this process.

I have a RHD Supra TT that i owned in japan when i was stationed there and had it imported back to the US when i came back. I have the car here legally and a japanese title. I hate looking at it in the garage and the guy that was supposed to be registering it has fallen through. Its been sitting there for 8 months.

If anyone can push me in the right direction i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-20-2009, 02:38 PM
ROTM February 2013

i looked on the dmv site and cant find anything. if you call them, im sure they will let you know how to do this.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Fishes more than you

Pm rbpowered. I believe he would be able to help you.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:34 PM

ya i've searched the DMV site as well and didnt find anything but thanks for taking the time to check it out. ok ill pm him and see what he says. Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Obama made me Republican

you mention it's RHD. Does that mean it's a japanese made car? If so i'd part it out/sell it on ebay to some JDM loving dude with fat pockets then use the money and buy yourself an american supra. Might sound F'd up but you'll be saving yourself 10x as much heartache if you do it that way.

Originally Posted by MS99k
I have a RHD Supra TT that i owned in japan when i was stationed there and had it imported back to the US when i came back. I have the car here legally and a japanese title.
Also you mentioned that you have the car here legally. What exactly does that mean. Do you have permission from the nhtsa saying that the car was legally imported as an automobile and not parts/shell? If so then you should have no problem getting it registered. If you do NOT have permission from the nhtsa to have this japanese car in the US then believe me sir it's a lot easier to sell it for a good price to someone who wants a jdm supra and buy yourself a USDM supra.

See the problem with importing JDm cars here and attempting to get them registered/street legal is that JDM cars don't pass nhtsa to declare them street legal. If they don't pass, well they can't be insured and if they can't be insured then well they can't be registered. I've heard of people swapping vins with an american counterpart but that's illegal and honestly you do not want the shitstorm you would encounter should you get in an accident and an insurance adjuster were to discover you've been committing insurance fraud. Trust me i'm from the bahamas and we get japanese cars shipped there all the time since our traffic laws permit it. I've seen and even personally helped people try to get many cars(evos, supras, wrxs, skylines) imported over to the US since MIAMI is only 40 mins away, but in the end it ALWAYS ends up more money/work than the car's worth.

Last edited by thereturnofdark; 09-21-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 PM

yes the car was purchased in japan the title is in japanese its a complete RHD TT car. yeah if i cant get anywhere with it soon i may end up doing that. pull the motor and tranny and sell it, then maybe sell the RHD swap but i'd much rather drive it again i love that car
Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Obama made me Republican

Originally Posted by MS99k
yes the car was purchased in japan the title is in japanese its a complete RHD TT car. yeah if i cant get anywhere with it soon i may end up doing that. pull the motor and tranny and sell it, then maybe sell the RHD swap but i'd much rather drive it again i love that car
well if you don't "need" the money you could always keep it as a track only car. Honestly though i'd try to sell it on ebay and basically make it someone elses problem to get it registered and such. Believe me people go bananas over RHD pos civics/integras. You put an rhd, tt supra up for sale on EBAY I can see you getting more than enough money to turn around and buy a USDM TT counterpart.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM

ok what u got to do is contact a importing port (like port of miami) cuz thereis a dmv like association there and they do all the tranfers from the japanese titles to us titles . btw if they say u got to pay a fee for it being RHD its bullshit u dont they just love making money out of people, so watch out for which company u tranfering titles with.
EG9 z6-t(swapped)LS turbo(blew)b20 turbo(traded)
EG6 lsvtec(stolen)(installed b16 nitrous then stolen again)
EG9 grocery bagger family car ( cop owned)
EG coupe b16 fully built (traded)
JDM front teggy lsvtec built high boost fail
EG bucket #becauseracecar HIGH BOOST here we come!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 AM
El Puto ©

^ No offense, but you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:37 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Start Here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/

By the way, which method did you use to ship the vehicle back (military)? Household goods? Did you complete an HS-7? If so, which box did you check?

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com