Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Top Gear US

Old 11-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear US

It seems that a lot of conversation in the motorsports section has dwindled away over the years. People would talk about car stuff just to pass by the time. Now it seems to mostly be one of two things being said around these parts. First topic is upcoming or past events. Second is general queries such as where to get an alignment, what suspension to get, ect.

So let's talk about cars and stuffs. I respect the opinions of other motorsports kids(I refer to most every group of people as kids), when it comes to cars, more so than kids who just so happens to like cars. I'm excited about the new show. I expect it to be very entertaining and hopefully very funny. I don't expect it to have the same exact appeal nor be as good as the BBC version. Knowing that, I won't be disappointed when it probabley doesn't turn out as good. What are other peoples thoughts?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
yeah, I drive a miata

If it doesn't get completely shot down in the first few seasons, it will be good. Takes a little bit to build that really good chemistry which is what makes top gear great. chemistry and not caring about being politically correct. they get those down and it can't fail.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 PM

The advertisers will have to be fans of the original show and appreciate the format. Otherwise, the content will become advertiser-driven and biased.

But, yeah... if they can pull it off, it should be fun!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

If they can be honest and real then it may work but the US Market probably won't allow for that.

They'll need money to bring cars in to drive. I think that is the one part that works in Europe there are so many different lines of cars due to location compared to here.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally the show was supposed to be on NBC. I don't think it is going to get the same audience on the history channel. That may hurt the success of the show. I wonder if the show is going to follow the same format as the origional. Top gear Australia does so I don't see why it wouldn't. Has anybody heard any specifics on anything about the show? All I've heard so far is that the hosts are tanner faust, Adam ferarra, and some NASCAR guy.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 AM
yeah, I drive a miata

what boggles my mind is every time someone names the hosts they always know adam ferrara but not rutledge wood. Rutledge is at least a racing journalist. ferrara is just some guy. I wish they had transferred adam corolla over from the nbc original lineup. he, foust, and wood would have been a good lineup.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 AM

I was just being silly when I some NASCAR guy because I am not a fan of it. I just can't get into a bunch of cars going roundy round for hours. However, until I did a search, I did not know who Rutledge Wood was. I am glad to see an actual journalist in the host line up. Faust may be a good driver, but his on camera skills leave a bit to be desired. Maybe he'll get better with time.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 PM
legend behind the cowl

The aussies have Not tackled any REALLY hard reviews yet. in other words they haven't bashed any cars, yet.. every Ford or Holden they test is "amazing".. I find that hard to believe.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:59 PM

Classic Top Gear is for at least one reviewer to like almost every car. Even if one of them speaks the truth and trashes the hell out of it, one of the others will love it for some reason. Or, on occasion, even the same reviewer will love AND hate the same car.

I always find it interesting how they still say nasty things about a lot of the super-expensive supercars that you KNOW the manufacturer loaned them to test. It will be refreshing if the US version can stick with that... but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Registered Hater

I thought it was the same BBC show but now played on a channel other than the BBC. Guess I'm wrong, if they are in the U.S. reviewing more U.S. cars... "Americans have never produced a proper handling car, it has always been about straight line... until now (Ford GT)". The Ford GT is really one of the best supercars so to say that an American company has produced and is not that hard to come by. I believe the Ultimate Aero SSC or w/e is an American company. Other than that we have nothing to show. I like the british humor and the way the show is now.

Honda builds go from yay to gay in the matter of a K.