Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

BMW wins 1st and 2nd

Old 10-22-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW wins 1st and 2nd

BMW takes 1st and 2nd.. at the 24hours of lemons race this past weekend. .

http://jalopnik.com/cars/racing/the-top-44-lemons-of-24-hours-of-lemons-313355.php

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/24hoursoflemons/

They destroyed a 740 IL for the peoples Curse award..

FYI Jay the promomoter for the 24hr race is meeting with Moroso in 2 weeks to work on getting a contract in place for next year..

Cant wait..
Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 PM

Hmmm... so, let's discuss the cars you have selected to compete in the Moroso Lemons race and your plans for preparing and testing them.

It seems that stripping the body of anything that could possibly break, fall off, or impede emergency repairs would be a wise move. Substituting said bodywork for some good solid "exoskeleton" might also be prudent.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM

yea i agree you will need to cage the outside of the car to protect the radiator & gas tank and Also the wheels. it seems that Tie rods break really easy when a wheel is hit..

I have a pair of 325 e cars.. 1985.. low RPM 5 k redline..lower power but good gas milage and wicked tourque.

the main car has some supension upgrades and already has been hit in the front and rear, So more dents are no big deal. the 2nd car has a cracked oil pan. So it will need some work to get running, I only plan to use this car if I can find 14 people that will give up about 2 weekends of their time to work on the cars and have between $300 to $400 for the event. I plan to pretty much donate the cars , but need to cover the cost of the cage and car prep.

Drivers will also need to have at least a 1 layer fire suit. $75 to $129 off Ebay and a real Helmet for Auto racing, not a M for motorcyle rating. Due to fire issues.

Let me know any thoughts or suggestions

B
Old 10-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Turn 7 at Sebring

Moroso, I am there!
Oh man, I know where there is a crx for 200!

Last edited by RoadRacer; 10-22-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
legend behind the cowl

I have a Fire suit and an SA 2005 helmet Rock on! Fat guy in a little car. I also have a welder and can seamweld the snot out of a car.

Tony down at Moroso is awesome, it sounds like the thing he would dig. if you want to reinforce the tierods we can weld a second bar on them, but that will prevent adjustment after the race starts. unless you grind them off. but they will not slip either.

Last edited by treekiller; 10-22-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:37 PM

Old 10-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Race Photographer

so is it $500 total, or just $500 for the car, the cage and safety stuff dont count?

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 PM
legend behind the cowl

like most "claimer" classes yes safety equipment is not included and can be removed if the car is "claimed"
Old 10-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Race Photographer

well if this comes to moroso and rally becomes quite common, I will pick up my self up another 4 banger mustang for cheap. Get a hatch, swap the v8 suspension and rear end onto it, cheap 8 pt bar welded, seat and harness. Sounds like some great cheap fun here soon.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 AM

Loren , Tree. I will keep you posted. I should know by the 2nd week of Nov when the Moroso date will be, unless Moroso goes overboard with the $$ since its a 24 hour event.. I am sure it will be next April- May.

They are running 3 of them each year in Cali. So Yes I hope it becomes an anaul event here also.

The only problem is the cars can really get beat up. So after using the same car for 3 or 4 races Id think it not be structurally sound. But then one could move the safety equipment to a new body every other year..

It looks like putting big push bars on the front and rear is a must. Also putting a cage per say around the front wheels to protect tie rods. And then something to also protect the rear wheels.

So I am gather prices on tubing. found a cage place that is willing to help. Things are looking good..

More to come..

B