Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

BMW wins 1st and 2nd

Old 10-27-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LD it will be next year.. April may???

OK Since there are 2 cars and they are twins.. per say I was thinking Thing 1 and thing 2..
http://bigeventsonline.com/seus/Thing1-2-200.jpg

Since the event is very light hearted and the wilder the better..
Still open for suggestions..

B
Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Fail

i got an e36 325is 5speed. this could be fun

Originally Posted by Kirk
Failure for President.
Originally Posted by SuburbanNoize
Weve already got that
Old 10-28-2007, 10:26 AM

LD Ill add you Dad to the list..
RX 007.. i also will get back with you when i have a set date etc.

D5 tuner.. If your BMW is a $500 car and you dont mind hacing its body destroyed in the race then , Hell yea its a great time. If the think its worth way more than $500 you may win the peoples Curse award and the car will be messed up.. bad.. check out yourtube for the 23 hours lemons peoples curse.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Fail

Lol i didnt pay anything for the car.. no title and its got chip intake and exhaust already. but as for what its worth is that decided by me or them?

Failure for President.
Weve already got that
Old 10-28-2007, 12:28 PM
legend behind the cowl

them, you don't want to win the peoples curse award.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Fail

aw well you can add me down for a driver.. And as for an extra set of hands for working on the cars. LMK

Failure for President.
Weve already got that
Old 10-29-2007, 11:00 AM

Barry, I've got another out-of-state driver who might be interested. He's got lots of experience travelling around the country doing silly motorsports stuff. (autox, hillclimb, open-road racing, etc) Obviously, he won't be available to help prep the cars, but if the schedule works and he can make it to drive... what sort of contribution would you ask of him?

Along the same lines, I'd suggest you budget this. Yeah, you've theoretically got a $500 budget for the cars. Even if you spend and document $500 on each of the cars, they won't believe you, anyway! So, don't get too wrapped up in that... but don't make the cars look like you spent thousands of dollars on the, either.

Budget for entry fees, tires, gas (and oil and other expendables that don't count toward the $500), the cost of the safety equipment, etc. I think you're going to want/need to collect some cash from each fo your drivers to cover the expenses unless you come up with a big bucks sponsor.

Also... I'd be a proponent of running the same engine in both cars. "To finish first, first you must finish." This is an all-out violent endurance race. Stuff is going to happen, and having a nice pile of interchangeable spare parts would be a very good thing. Probably more valuable than the extra HP.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:09 AM

Hey everyone.
Still waiting on Moroso, been playing phone tag with them for 2 weeks now.
Loren , as far as out of state drivers. I guess its going to come down to how many people we need. Currently I do have enough people for 2 cars that are local. I do have a friend from out of state also that was willing to fly down early to spend a few days on the final prep of the car.
But I also know that even though I have about 14 persons that say they want to do this. Then it comes time to put down the $$$ that number will change. So to be honest , if it ends up that I need people I am willing to take those that cant be here to help with the inital build.

Last of all is the cost. I am working with a cage person that appears to be willing to allow myself and a few others to come in and use his fabrication machines. So for that part it would just be cost of the materials and a few extra bucks to cover his costs- electricity and consumables.
Other costs will be Window nets. about $50 with hardware per side. Not sure if we need passenger side.
5 point harness. $100.
Seat? I have the BMW recaro type that came with the car. Or we can put in an Metal racing seat, but then we get into the differnt sized drivers. So Im open there..
Cage for materials Im guess will be at least $250, and maybe another $50 in some tubing to brace the Radiator.
We also will need to make some sort of guard for the oil pan, since most people lower the car for better handleing.
Then there is the Tires and rims. I have a few sets of stock 14 inch wheels. But if we wanted to upgrade to 15s or 16s then it be the cost of a set of cheap rims $400 for 4 and the tires. I would rather spend the $$ for good tires, I think it will make a difference. And getting a tire sponser could really help here.
Im not looking to make any profit on this. I am planning on eating the cost of the cars. But everything else I would like to break even on IE splitting the cost with the team.

Last of all they just added a new rule. Since Altamont was more of a smash up derby there will be NO Nerf- push bars allowed. you can reinforce under the original sheet metal. But nothing can stick out past the original body work.

Let me know your thoughts.

Barry
Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 AM

I agree with Loren.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Lucky

My initial thought was running 1 car and using your spare car as a parts car. I have been to many a 12 hours of Sebring only to watch a team work on their car in the pits for what seems like forever, only to have them come back out and either place very well in their class or even win. As Loren said, first you must finish.
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...