Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Not making the power

Old 01-31-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm Slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for some reason.....not supeising. I'll call u in the morning if u want to do a pull with me locally and see how we do. What mph and rpm was the roll from? U should walk a stock sti!

550/550
Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 AM
Subaru/Evo Parts Hookup!

did you wait 3 seconds while shifting from 3 to 4?

225whp for 400whp...um? shouldnt even be a race.

is one of your cylinders low on compression
2009 GTR
www.IMPORTIMAGERACING.COM
With over $10million sold, 30,000+ happy customers, over 100 brands to chose from, at the best pricing...best customer service...No wonder so many choose Import Image!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:22 AM
The slowest STi in the US

Did you say you are on a stock block?

This might sound crazy, in fact, people will dismiss it. But for shit's and giggles, do a compression check. The stock pistons and the bearings are the weakest links for this engine. For your setup, I thought you had beefed up the internals.

Just a thought.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:05 AM
400hp club, barely

Originally Posted by SteelDragonSTi
Did you say you are on a stock block?

This might sound crazy, in fact, people will dismiss it. But for shit's and giggles, do a compression check. The stock pistons and the bearings are the weakest links for this engine. For your setup, I thought you had beefed up the internals.

Just a thought.
i think im going to do the compression test. i was told 400whp is pretty stable on the stock block. i dont rag on the car too much, and there are people making over 500whp np. i was planning on doing the motor when i had the money, but like everyone else, its just not feasible right now.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 AM
The slowest STi in the US

Originally Posted by specVmatt
i think im going to do the compression test. i was told 400whp is pretty stable on the stock block. i dont rag on the car too much, and there are people making over 500whp np. i was planning on doing the motor when i had the money, but like everyone else, its just not feasible right now.
That's what I thought too... but after seeing 3 out of the 4 piston ringlands crumble when removed and the bearings were basically shot, it tells me this motor doesnt like a bigger turbo. I have an 18g and it went. I'd like to know the compression numbers. Post them up when its done. Good Luck.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 AM
vroom psshh.

Even with that much more power, the driving makes a HUGE difference. That's why ugmsti433's (then) stage 1 07 STi once lost to a stock WRX (through 2nd, 3rd and 4th I believe). Andrew's normally a good driver, but he was sh*t in that race

Matt, with your bigger turbo, if you don't start in the "sweet spot" and Rob does, his VF-43 is going to pull like a bat out of hell IMMEDIATELY while you're still trying to spool and build momentum. If he shifts faster than you, it's the same thing over again.

From 3rd- on, are you lagging severely between shifts? Also, you know what to look for with a slipping clutch, right?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Classy STI Driver

I going to agree with others' here. Something is def. not right; hopefully it's your driving since that can be fixed for free. Let us know how the ECU reset works out and if that seemed to help. Also, if you're up for the drive, we could do a pull. I'm stage 2 right now, but you should still pull away from me...especially in the higher gears.

Either way, Matt, hopefully this gets resolved. At the power level you're making (unless the SWP sti limited your friend has is a factory freak in the extreme sense), any STI stage 2 and less should be easy to take.
Andrew's 2007 UGM STi Limited #433
Defi Red Racer Boost + Oil Pressure | Innovate WB A/F | V1 radar | Cobb AP protune | Spearco TMIC | APS 3" catted TBE | APS CAI | APS turbo inlet | DeatschWerks 750cc injectors| Walbro FP | Beatrush forged pitching stopper | Kartboy hangers |Coolant bypass | Prodrive EBCS | Debadged trunk | Cobb heatshield |DRL delete | Autospeed dead pedal + black license plate trim | Primitive Armor |

284whp/307wtq
(mustang dyno)
Old 01-31-2009, 07:55 AM
400hp club, barely

well i now know the tune is off. my eugo reads 10.0 flat at WOT then creeping back to 11.2 just before I shift into 4th. i reset the ecu, didnt really do anything. how does a tune just change overnight?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM
400hp club, barely

If one were to build a motor for my setup, and it was somewhat on a budget.. what should they go with? I know pistons and sleeves, but should i do rods and everything? im not looking for an 800whp car. i honestly will probably never get rid of the dom 3. i would like to be able to up the boost to maybe 24 psi, but if i wanted to go to the extreme of 27-28 psi, what kind of money am i talking about putting into the build?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:06 AM
How's the view back there

Are you talking headwork also or just the block?