Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Possible Blown Engine: Need Urgent Help

Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car did the same thing. Died at a light and was making the knocking noise. It was too late to save the motor. The rod had messed up the cylinder wall too much to be sleeved/repaired. I replaced it with a 2.5L

I hate to say it man but I think you're going to have to replace it.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:30 PM
frankenSTIen

Originally Posted by 13Brotary
When the oil light comes on it's usually too late; you've already done damage. Our cars are notorious for blowing through oil and it's a good idea to check it every time you fill up. What kind of oil were you using?

As far as fixing it's going to be a major engine out type of thing. Depending on the damage you may have to start shopping for a new short block. In that case, an STi 2.5L would be a good bet, but then you're going to need to open the wallet for that. Good luck, it will work out in the end!
...how much is an STi 2.5L short block??...what do I need to buy along with shortblock??...

Originally Posted by ryan_west06
you need to rip it apart and replace the rod/bearing. Might as well get all new ones while its apart.... Labor is going to be out the ass man! thats whats going to hurt you the most.... Sorry it happened...
...I hope its the rob bearing...and not something with the block and turbo......I don't mind the labor, I mind the money....

Originally Posted by 05stisilver
"Our cars are notorious for blowing through oil and it's a good idea to check it every time you fill up. What kind of oil were you using?"

Exactly subaru engines are NOT made for synthetic oil and they in most cases will use synthetic oil....Use either conventional or....which I'm now currently trying german castrol syntec. Which supposedly is a little thicker and supposedly suby's don't burn it or at least not much.
...woah, I put Royal Purple 75w90 Synthetic Oil on mine...so you're saying thats a bad thing??...

Originally Posted by im2wrxy
My car did the same thing. Died at a light and was making the knocking noise. It was too late to save the motor. The rod had messed up the cylinder wall too much to be sleeved/repaired. I replaced it with a 2.5L

I hate to say it man but I think you're going to have to replace it.
...noooooo...I don't want to replace the engine...too much $...crap...I guess I need to start saving up and put the scoob in the garage...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]
Bugeye Mafioso #149 from www.ClubWRX.net

Subaru, friends included:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeoDkny6BBg
Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Dude you were running 75w-90 in your engine??? That's not exactly what is recommended...
Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 PM

omfg

it says it on the fuckin cap man, you cant be serious. 5W30
Old 01-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Skunk.

not trying to be mean man, but you really should trade/sell the WRX for whatever you can get out of it and get into a stock honda and DO NOT mod it. You pretty much just raped and murdered a good WRX motor that under normal conditions should've went another 200k.

look forward to ATLEAST $1000 worth of work and it'll probably be much higher.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:45 AM
MPG FTW!

I've got 2.5l's and 2.0l's in stock
2.0: $1700
2.5: $1900 - Recommended parts include ARP head studs and Cometic head gaskets.
Gasket Set: $300

Manny
Old 01-11-2008, 04:53 AM

yeah, spun bearing= new block
i spun like 3 bearings on my prelude a few years ago and it wasnt a cheap fix.a brand new H22 block cost me $2600 just for the bottom end. WRXBDBY just had his done last year too,same problem spun bearing. so he got the 2.5block. big difference.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 AM
mech engineer

wow, 75w90? dude. Who told you to put that in??? If im not mistaken, but isnt that the type of oil that goes into a tranny?

For the oil experts, wouldnt the 75w mean that it would be tested at a cold starting temp of like 45 degrees? unlike a 5w or 10w would be around -20 to -30? so, isnt he basically putting in an oil that is just to high in starting temp and too thick? He would want a lower viscosity number (like 30 or 40, instead of 90) to help everything in the motor function with less friction with movable motor parts? I havent really studied oil enough to exactly know what it will do, but, what it sounds like is that when the temps got into the 40's around here, he cold-started the car and the oil was way to thick which had cause the motor to start and seize up.

All in all man, you need to start saving up for a new one. If you plan on sti motor, be ready to shell out some money. Call around and start getting prices with install. Good luck man. Next time, just look at the owners manual and it will tell you which oil to use.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 AM
frankenSTIen

Originally Posted by 13Brotary
Dude you were running 75w-90 in your engine??? That's not exactly what is recommended...
...actually I ran Redline 75w90NS to be exact...and it recommended for +02 Subaru models...it's supposedly suited best according to this site...

Redline 75w90NS Transmission Oil

Originally Posted by ryan_west06
omfg

it says it on the fuckin cap man, you cant be serious. 5W30
...I was doing research and what I found out is that 75w90NS is the best...It is even mentioned a couple of times in ClubWRX.net......maybe I should've researched my engine first......

Originally Posted by flystiguy01
not trying to be mean man, but you really should trade/sell the WRX for whatever you can get out of it and get into a stock honda and DO NOT mod it. You pretty much just raped and murdered a good WRX motor that under normal conditions should've went another 200k.

look forward to ATLEAST $1000 worth of work and it'll probably be much higher.
...well, there is this guy selling a Civic H22 Turbo for $5,200...which was 400+ to the wheel...and thats faster than my suby...but I can't buy something that slower, especially a stock civic...I'd rather die along with me suby......

Originally Posted by xxBoost Junkiexx
I've got 2.5l's and 2.0l's in stock
2.0: $1700
2.5: $1900 - Recommended parts include ARP head studs and Cometic head gaskets.
Gasket Set: $300

Manny
...thanks for the info man, I'll pm you if anything...

Originally Posted by 1BDREX
yeah, spun bearing= new block
i spun like 3 bearings on my prelude a few years ago and it wasnt a cheap fix.a brand new H22 block cost me $2600 just for the bottom end. WRXBDBY just had his done last year too,same problem spun bearing. so he got the 2.5block. big difference.
...yea, I might as well get a 2.5 block...any other parts he had to buy along with it??...

Originally Posted by stiscooby
wow, 75w90? dude. Who told you to put that in??? If im not mistaken, but isnt that the type of oil that goes into a tranny?

For the oil experts, wouldnt the 75w mean that it would be tested at a cold starting temp of like 45 degrees? unlike a 5w or 10w would be around -20 to -30? so, isnt he basically putting in an oil that is just to high in starting temp and too thick? He would want a lower viscosity number (like 30 or 40, instead of 90) to help everything in the motor function with less friction with movable motor parts? I havent really studied oil enough to exactly know what it will do, but, what it sounds like is that when the temps got into the 40's around here, he cold-started the car and the oil was way to thick which had cause the motor to start and seize up.

All in all man, you need to start saving up for a new one. If you plan on sti motor, be ready to shell out some money. Call around and start getting prices with install. Good luck man. Next time, just look at the owners manual and it will tell you which oil to use.
...crap it is a tranny oil...my friends stupid dad mechanic said it was freaking fine......it'll probably be a new STi motor...or that H22 Turbo Civic...or sell/trade my suby and use the money for a down payment to get another subaru......I was misledded into putting the wrong oil and now I'm facing the consequences......I should've asked you guys but back then I didn't know about tr...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]
Bugeye Mafioso #149 from www.ClubWRX.net

Subaru, friends included:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeoDkny6BBg
Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 AM

with the way your goin man you better buy a bicycle bc honestly i dont think you have to maturity to deal with a high maintenance car.. i can get a sweet hook up on sum shocks and pegs..lol hey maybe a baseball card to make a cool sound for you..it can be like your wannabe bov..

If you have been mislead or fraudulently persuaded into buying a timeshare in the last 2 years.. I CAN HELP!!