Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Possible Blown Engine: Need Urgent Help

Old 01-10-2008, 04:52 PM
frankenSTIen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Blown Engine: Need Urgent Help

...Okay so I stopped at a red light...and didn't even notice that my car turned off until the light was green...no I didn't stall......I couldn't turn my car on...so I called some of my buddies to help me push to a parking lot...as they pushed...I tried to get the car started...it worked after a few tries......when I reved the engine slightly I hear a strong rattle(knocking) on the engine...my friend said that my engine is blown, that its the rods making the noise, that the same thing happened to his civic......I'm not sure if he knew what he was talking about so thats why I come to you guys to help me out...

MOD LIST:
-Blitz DTT DC IV
-Blitz SUS Power Air Filter
-JDM WRX STi Catback Race Exhaust
-F1 Racing Stage 3 Clutch Kit

...I also recently cleaned my MAF Sensor with CRC...and yesterday I was racing my friend for the fun of it...redlined it a few times...hopefully this is enough info...

EDIT: Also the Red Oil Light thingy had been turning on and off a couple of times...I've ignored since it didn't stay on like CEL's do...not sure if that was smart...but yea......and I've also had CEL's that state that I have a cylinder misfire and that there is something wrong with my O2 Sensor......oh and also my battery was really dirty so I disconnected the neg and pos and cleaned it...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]
Bugeye Mafioso #149 from www.ClubWRX.net

Subaru, friends included:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeoDkny6BBg
Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 PM

what the hell do you mean red oil light thingy.... I hope your not talking about your oil pressure light.... Dude, have you checked your oil. You probably spun a rod due to lack of oil, and overheating.... What was/is your temp gauge reading?

why would you run your car knowing you have misfire issues, WHY would you race someone knowing your car has problems period!

Edit: just so you know the oil light comes on to to basicly announce your running low on oil! if its coming on and off then you need to check that shit man.

Last edited by ryan_west06; 01-10-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 PM
405hp=SLOW

Oil light coming on and off. Probably low on oil. Redlining low on oil.... I'm no Subaru tech but sounds like you fried some bearings.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:07 PM
frankenSTIen

Originally Posted by ryan_west06
what the hell do you mean red oil light thingy.... I hope your not talking about your oil pressure light.... Dude, have you checked your oil. You probably spun a rod due to lack of oil, and overheating.... What was/is your temp gauge reading?

why would you run your car knowing you have misfire issues, WHY would you race someone knowing your car has problems period!

Edit: just so you know the oil light comes on to to basicly announce your running low on oil! if its coming on and off then you need to check that shit man.
...yes, the oil pressure light...I checked my oil and it is oil...I can resolve that...so you think I spun a rod...will replacing fix the issue at hand......I've been told the the misfire was not a big deal so I chose to ignore it...I guess the idiot was wrong...how can I fix the cylinder issue??......I was careless, didn't know it would cause such harm...Newbie ignorance...

Originally Posted by HeavyChevy3800
Oil light coming on and off. Probably low on oil. Redlining low on oil.... I'm no Subaru tech but sounds like you fried some bearings.

...the bearings, eh??...I'm gonna check that tomorrow, as well as the rod...

...can someone specify what causes the rattling/knocking on the engine??...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

Old 01-10-2008, 06:11 PM

YouTube - MY 2002 WRX - Rod knock

does your car sound like this? if so, its a spun rod bearing
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

If it was my car I'd top up the oil and then have it towed to a dealership.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
frankenSTIen

Originally Posted by ryan_west06
YouTube - MY 2002 WRX - Rod knock

does your car sound like this? if so, its a spun rod.
...it sounds EXACTLY like that...thank you for confirming the problem...now, how do I deal with the issue??...do I replace the rod??...Of course, I'll top off my oil too...

~Kano~
[God Bless You]

Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM

When the oil light comes on it's usually too late; you've already done damage. Our cars are notorious for blowing through oil and it's a good idea to check it every time you fill up. What kind of oil were you using?

As far as fixing it's going to be a major engine out type of thing. Depending on the damage you may have to start shopping for a new short block. In that case, an STi 2.5L would be a good bet, but then you're going to need to open the wallet for that. Good luck, it will work out in the end!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:27 PM

you need to rip it apart and replace the rod/bearing. Might as well get all new ones while its apart.... Labor is going to be out the ass man! thats whats going to hurt you the most.... Sorry it happened...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Lil C's

"Our cars are notorious for blowing through oil and it's a good idea to check it every time you fill up. What kind of oil were you using?"

Exactly subaru engines are NOT made for synthetic oil and they in most cases will use synthetic oil....Use either conventional or....which I'm now currently trying german castrol syntec. Which supposedly is a little thicker and supposedly suby's don't burn it or at least not much.

Last edited by 05stisilver; 01-10-2008 at 06:39 PM.