Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

I worked out whats wrong with the new STi..

Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonLGT
They keep making it uglier... that is my main concern.
yeah that is true.

I remember when the WRX and Sti were a car to be feared on the road .. they were raping the hell out of the V8's.

Not so much anymore, the Vette, the Cobra, the BMW, the porches.. all faster.

My dream to own a STi started with a magazine article in which the BMW M3, the 911 Turbo and the STi went head to head and the STi kicked their ass in the straight line, and around a race track. Those cars went on to improve their performance.. the STi has not..its gotten heavier and uglier.

For the guy talking about straight line performance up there above.. you'd be surprised how well the Z28's .. the Cobras.. the vettes and the vipers handle on a race track.. not to mention the porsches and BMW's .. all of them with race car heritage .. the STi doesnt "blitz" them in any form.. in fact alot of the time the cars above will be the victor.

Lets face it.. the STi just isnt the clear cut performance blitzer (for the money) it was in the late 90s'.. the STi of today wont win BBFB or car of the decade like it did in the 1990's ..

Subaru hasnt kept the dream alive in my book.

They need a Turbo Flat 6 in the STi, reduce the weight to about 3000lbs .. make the 6 produce about 400 HP.. and dont raise the price over about $36K ..

THEN they have that legendary status back ..
Old 09-14-2007, 11:52 AM

The only thing that hasnt been mentioned about is that the STI will more than likely never have an H6 in it. I would be the first to sign up for one if it were. However, due to the WRC rules, they must produce a production model within the engine sizing rules. For subaru to completely redesign the car to accept the H6 only for the USA...dont hold your breath. But have them come out with the STI like perrins...even for mid to high $40K range. I would find a way to get one!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Just for decoration

Originally Posted by wrxtunr
The only thing that hasnt been mentioned about is that the STI will more than likely never have an H6 in it. I would be the first to sign up for one if it were. However, due to the WRC rules, they must produce a production model within the engine sizing rules. For subaru to completely redesign the car to accept the H6 only for the USA...dont hold your breath. But have them come out with the STI like perrins...even for mid to high $40K range. I would find a way to get one!
The USDM 2.5 Doesnt work within the WRC rules either.

R.I.P. Brian Nichols 02/07/1989-11/24/2008
Old 09-14-2007, 01:18 PM

So what is the 2.5 STI going to go for....any ideas??

If it's over 38-39k loaded

Remember a loaded 08 WRX with fogs goes for just over 30
Old 09-14-2007, 04:55 PM
MPG FTW!

Plain and simple... don't fix what aint broken.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 PM

Problem is......
The competition is stepping forward & Subaru has elected to stay stay put.
Look @ it this way, Hyundai will be releasing the Tiburon with a 4.2l V8 the fall of next year. Granted it will not be AWD but with it's looks & 320+hp & a curb wt around 3200-3300lbs 6spd......
All with a pricetag just under 30k.....

Subaru is falling back guys
Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wukindada
Problem is......
The competition is stepping forward & Subaru has elected to stay stay put.
Look @ it this way, Hyundai will be releasing the Tiburon with a 4.2l V8 the fall of next year. Granted it will not be AWD but with it's looks & 320+hp & a curb wt around 3200-3300lbs 6spd......
All with a pricetag just under 30k.....

Subaru is falling back guys
Hyundai?.....lol.I'll pretend you didn't say that...lol.Bottom line is times change and fuel prices as well,its all about your personal taste and what you want the car for(everyday driver,autocrossing,rally,drag,etc.).As long as subaru makes a great product I will continue to drive one.There are too many positives when it comes to Subarus when you think about it.Do you remember the first time you saw a 22B Impreza.That car would still kick ass!......LONG LIVE SUBARUS!
Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 PM

well, the reported numbers on the new sti and evo have power bumps showing north of 300 torque and horsepower...they both are also saying low to mid 12's from the factory...now compare that to the price tag of the m3, m5, z06 and gt500 you are comparing the cars too...also get specs of lateral g's and see how the muscle cars hold up
Old 09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
SickSilverScooby05

Originally Posted by Mars_302
with all the threads I read about subbie trannies, I think they need to work out a better tranny setup that can handle the extra power and not cost thousands of dollars
Yes! I agree 100% make a better tranny and more power. Instead they spend time redesigning the car instead of work on the engine. IMO I always would work on my engine then my exterior. But You dont see WRXS OR STi's as often as Honda,BMW,Mercedes,Toyota etc

05 Subaru WRX!

rep for the avatar if ya like booty & Rum
Old 09-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Breakin tranny's

Originally Posted by xxBoost Junkiexx
Plain and simple... don't fix what aint broken.
Ain't that the truth