For Sale/WTB GM - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saturn Strictly GM related For Sale/WTB

northstar crankshaft...

Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call ed morse or stop by. pacific auto on nebraska in tampa.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Race Photographer

Uh pretty sure it be easier just to attach a crank trigger to the balancer.. I dont even know how you are going to to get a signal from the crank trigger is you are tryiing to use the same style as a north star considering northstars have the sensors in the side of the block and there isnt really a provision on a LT1 block for that that I remember. Theres in fact a few setups that convert Lt1 to a coil pack setup with LS1 coils. Just being truthful, sounds like alot of work thats not going to give you a huge major improvement over whats already out there.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 12-23-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mars_302
Uh pretty sure it be easier just to attach a crank trigger to the balancer.. I dont even know how you are going to to get a signal from the crank trigger is you are tryiing to use the same style as a north star considering northstars have the sensors in the side of the block and there isnt really a provision on a LT1 block for that that I remember. Theres in fact a few setups that convert Lt1 to a coil pack setup with LS1 coils. Just being truthful, sounds like alot of work thats not going to give you a huge major improvement over whats already out there.
um just to clarify......I AM NOT USING THE NORTHSTAR CRANKSHAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! I am simply using the crankshaft to take measurements to fabricate a wheel in which I will be mounting to my balancer. I plan on sticking the crank in a big fucking band saw and cutting it up into pieces. Let me worry about that part. No there isnt anything "out there" that would be even close to that set up. 3 bar map, open source tuning, data logging, and no opti spark doesnt exist for a 93 LT1 computer. I can use ANY wasted spark coil pack, the northstar ones come in a nice tight package, and easily work with their own ignition module.

??? is this really that hard of a concept to wrap your head around??

the cause of all that is evil
Old 12-29-2008, 02:17 PM
El Tee Juan x2.... IDIOT!

good luck on that and post some pics when you start making any progress.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSleeper
good luck on that and post some pics when you start making any progress.
George Michael said it best......"you gotta have faith". right now I am so damn busy at work that I cant find time to go treasure hunting.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Doesnt see what you did

Originally Posted by Corner Worker
George Michael said it best......"you gotta have faith". right now I am so damn busy at work that I cant find time to go treasure hunting.

If you want some help in a week or so, im sure we could have one out of a caddy at LKQ in a reasonable amount of time, dewalt sawzall, and impact gun should make short work of getting one out.
full on track cars can take a lot more liberties with shit than a street car. bell bottom kits and crazy wheel fitment look cool sliding on a track, but when i want to drive to taco bus, im going to ruin all of that shit. so it just doesnt work for me. function over fashion.
Originally Posted by osama tim laden
also, im about to blow my moderator status by deleteing all of davids posts
R.I.P. Tim

SR, RB, and LS1 into S13/14 harnesses converted.

SR 13/13- $120, 13/14 or 14/13 $180
RB $200
LS1 $250
Old 01-01-2009, 03:23 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

Originally Posted by Mars_302

it all centers around the ecm and happening to own a 93 lt1. instead of a newer mass air lt1 where they are good tuning software out, to just install a bigger mass air and retune it for a boost setup.

so being that, the cheaper and more off the wall way is to repin the ecm for older sy/ty the 749. since the lt1 doesn't have a dizzy and the old computer can't run off an opti or the new coil pack replacements for the opti's. so its either pick up a dis off from a lt5 which you can't buy and if you can is over 1000$ or fab up some crazy ass crank trigger that the northstar using. i wish it was a eazy as using an msd crank trigger. but its not. without a dizzy you gotta have some way of telling the icm where #1 cyl is.

once its done thou. you can run the ls1 coil packs if you wantedin wasted), a ecm resistor mod allows for low Z injectors and the code has been hacked up to run with a 3 bar map. control the wastegate based on mph and rpm.(n2o and alky are coming) the VE table has been expanded 3x's bigger which gives you the same drivablety as a stock n/a car while being able to support 30lbs of boost. it also has very nice timing tables that gm put in for the boosted app that most high end stand alones haven't added in yet.

all in all it would be a neat setup. but got get the first part out of they was first. finding a crank wheel to have copied and made to fit the car. along with the crank sensor mounts. there's 2 of them. 28* apart.(i believe its 28 evenly spaced teeth with 8 extra teeth every 28*) its very weird setup where if any of the 3 sensor went bad the car would still run fine. it has what gm calls a quick start. it can figure out what #1 cyl is in less than 1/2 a turn of the crank. and fire the plug it should without so may .001 sec of that.

blah...
Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM

you see everyone.....I am only half crazy.....??? is the peanut butter to my jelly.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Weak LT1

Everyone talking about LKQ, must have know idea of how much these northstars are going for these days, lol.

I have a complete northstar out of a 99 SLS. I plan on keeping for back up parts.

If you can get the info that you need off of the crank without doing any damage to it, I will pull it and let you use it. Keep me in the loop with progress (It is not in my sig, but I am the proud owner of an LT1 Camaro too!)
Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 AM

well I went to the junkyard today.....(cohpers) im old. I picked up the coil pack, ignition module, and both crank sensors. I got some decent pics of the crank wheel looking into the sensor hole....."mpe331lx" I want to cut the wheel out of the center of the crank.....which means I need a junk crank. Its a BITCH to get the crank out, the motor needs to be out of the car. So, I will plan on doing that in the near future.