The Projects Watch out in this hood ! Current And Past Ford Project Topics Only.

P-86 Mustang

Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 PM
THROTTLE STEER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great Eric, Love your attention to detail..
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Infidel

Thanks Donnie! The nice thing about this project is I'm striving for "military standards" so things can be all screwed up and I can say its supposed to be that way

Last edited by KAILUAZ; 05-05-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 AM

I see you making steady progress Eric, and it's coming along nicely.....
Old 05-06-2009, 04:15 AM
Made Of Scars

Where did you get this metal adhesive? I got a welder you could use if you wanted to try it out.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:44 AM
Infidel

Originally Posted by byondevl
Where did you get this metal adhesive? I got a welder you could use if you wanted to try it out.
I got it at Lowe's, I was going to get all fancy and get some actual auto body adhesive, but for those small parts I didn't have to go crazy.
I really want to learn how to weld and at some point I need to figure it out. I have a small stick welder but its pretty useless for automotive stuff and I've never used it. Thanks for the offer, I need to take a class or something, its just finding the time which is an issue right now.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:14 PM

There's a 110 volt Miller wire welder sitting about 10 blocks from your house.....
Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Infidel

^ Thanks Rob!

While riding around in military aircraft I always wondered what everything was and how they keep track of it all throughout the aircraft. I asked some crew chiefs and found the military standard for labeling piping (MIL-STD-1247C). http://www.combatindex.com/mil_docs/...-STD-1247C.pdf
I found a guy who is attempting to get some actual labels so I can check them out. They have been used since WWII although the older ones were painted and not stickers.
And in the realm of learning something new every day, the colors of the connectors also tell you what material they are made of. Blue, red or green fittings are aluminum, black, brown, or bronze colors are steel.
I think it would be cool to label the Mustang in the same way and see if anyone notices and says anything about it.

Brake lines, fuel lines, coolant, etc. All my wiring is going to be white and bundled the same way also. The small stuff is just as fun as the big stuff.
Examples:
UH-47 Chinook

P-51 Mustang:

Last edited by KAILUAZ; 05-07-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
wanna be ford guy.

my mother is a lead inspector for lockheed martin. she does wiring harnesses and stuff like that for all sorts of nasa and military shit. she might be willing to help you out if she has some time with your harnesses and she might even stamp them for you to too make it legit lol.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
THROTTLE STEER

Just wanted to say nice meeting in person today..Hope them mounts help you out in your quest to build something cool and neat..Thanks for the 1st Cav coin bro ! Let me know if you ever need help or have questions on BB stuff.. HOOAH ! ARMY leads the way !!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Infidel

Originally Posted by Joker Instituted
my mother is a lead inspector for lockheed martin. she does wiring harnesses and stuff like that for all sorts of nasa and military shit. she might be willing to help you out if she has some time with your harnesses and she might even stamp them for you to too make it legit lol.
That's pretty cool. I'm keeping it easy and running one main bundle. I wanted to use cannon plugs on the firewall going into the engine bay but I don't know anything about building them.

Originally Posted by 460 TZILLA
Just wanted to say nice meeting in person today..Hope them mounts help you out in your quest to build something cool and neat..Thanks for the 1st Cav coin bro ! Let me know if you ever need help or have questions on BB stuff.. HOOAH ! ARMY leads the way !!
Good meeting you too Donnie, thanks for the hookup on the mounts. I can at least get the engine in there for mocking up stuff.
I'll be picking your brain for sure on the 460!