What's your view on Drift tax?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 PM
February - Ride of the Month

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha

RIP Tim Aldrich
"..watch this cool documentary on bums racing shopping carts downhill, and making a living off of selling bottles. living the dream."

Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 PM
supports radical habits

should we all post story's of our 240's we bought and only paid penny's for em'
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

people dont understand that by low balling and talking shit about the price people post 240's for only lowers the price of their car. Instead of talking shit they should be smart and when someone post a car for a little more than its worth.. its not like you r gonna buy it anyways but just be like clean car decent price GLWS or something. Why would you want to devalue your own car.. i mean honestly?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
no

Drift tax is gay... but Welcome to America, my name is Capitalism.

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I hurt my nose.

My first hachi was $50.
The good 'ole days, bros.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 AM
OG Join Date: 6-15-00

There is an ass for every seat, ask what you want for the the damn thing. Fuck everyone else, this is one of the many reasons I got away from these cars for a bit.

1973 VW Squareback
1979 AMC Jeep Cherokee Chief

RIP Tim

Old 09-18-2009, 08:31 AM
I <3 usdm

I'm not selling my car, I'm just tired of everyone de-valuing their own cars.

Originally Posted by whattadobo
People fucking suck, I'm selling my car and buying a treefort.
Originally Posted by osama tim laden
shit got all davided up.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 AM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by David48
So since there are atleast 2-3 threads a day in the FS section full of people calling "drift tax" because someone wants more than 2K for a clean 240, I thought I would make a thread on it. So just recently someone claimed I over payed for my MR2 and 240. I was wondering what the rest of you guys think. I payed $2000 for my old MR2. A 91 hardtop(extremely rare). I then traded that for my 240. Then I was showed a link to KBB that valued a 240 like mine for under $1900. So I ignored it until today when I got curious and put everything in exactly according to mine. Here's what I got.
1992 Nissan 240SX - Suggested Retail Value - Kelley Blue Book
Keep in mind 3K is for excellent condition, but mine is pretty damn clean, so according to KBB, my 240 should be worth atleast 2500. But, isn't a car only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it and not what a bunch of online douche bags say? Well, I've been offered $3k on more than one occasion. discuss.

P.S. This is a continuation on a thread that got deleted. I just felt I should post this up.
look dude, I get the fact that you are butt hurt about over paying for your car. I totally understand that. But you don't need to make yourself look like an idiot trying to justify why it was ok to spend the money that you do.
The fact that you payed 2 grand for your MR2 just means that you got an ok deal on it.
You're little KBB there is for retail value, so of course it is going to show higher, but last I checked you aren't a dealership and you didn't get it from a dealership. KBB puts the retail value higher because the dealership is supposed to have taken care of all of the maintenance the car needs, along with any repairs that were needed. They also sell the car with some kind of warranty, adding additional value to the purchase. With that said, a majority of used car dealerships don't put that much work into a car that is valued so low. but that is why you haggle the price lower than the initial asking price.
That value is also in excellent condition. A 20 year old car cannot be in excellent condition. Unless of course it has had major work and up keep done to it, but typically someone isn't going to sell a car that they invested more than it is worth into. Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find a 10 year old car that is in excellent condition. I am well aware that your average 240 owner thinks that a few dings and an ugly brown interior, faded paint and a mildly cracked dash is "clean as fuck" but that doesn't mean it is even considered good. Have you ever actually taken the time to read the descriptions of what Fair, Good, Poor, Excellent even mean? If the car is over 10 years old, 9 out of 10 times, it would fall into the fair category. Thats nothing insulting or anything like that, you just cannot sit out in the sun for 10 years without a little fading, you can't run for 150K without some mechanical wearing, you can't have someone eat lunch in you for 10 years without some interior damage. The life expectancy of a 240sx was only 10 years anyway. They are all pushing twice that much. A car in Good condition should be able to be boosted and raced hardcore at, say, daytona without hesitation. If you would have to rebuild the motor to boost it, then it isn't mechanically good. If you have a laundry list of things that need done to the suspension to get it ready for the track, then it isn't in good condition.
Drift tax goes beyond asking way too much for a car. It also includes things like overlooking a cracked dash, or faded paint, or that funny ticking noise from the motor, or the thud the rear strut makes, or the wear on the driver's seat, or the blow speaker in the passenger door, or that weird, unexplained smell, or that exhaust leak, the slight grind between gears, the hesitation on a hard launch, the difficulty starting on a cold morning.... the list goes on and on and on and on... I've seen cars with every single one of those things and it was still considered "Cleen ass Fawk!"
that's drift tax.
Open your eyes to what is really wrong with the car and the true value of that car. You wouldn't pay a quarter of a million dollars for a Ferrari that had been keyed down the passenger side and the driver's seat was worn down, even if it was "worth" that much.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by presidential
There is an ass for every seat, ask what you want for the the damn thing. Fuck everyone else, this is one of the many reasons I got away from these cars for a bit.
And Subaru's aren't.....

My view on drift tax, there is none, just retards who try to rip people off and cant accept the fact that building a car should be fun not profitable. You want profit start a shop.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Doesnt see what you did

Rule #1, your car that you put 10k into when you were building it, is now worth half that, learn to live with it, cars dont gain value with age unless you've got something truely rare, your S13, or S14 definetly doesnt fall into this category.

Rule #2, yes it is "drift tax" , in 99, 00', 01' before half the people around here started wanting to play with 240's, perfect flawless cars with a bad clutch or something simple ran $400-700, nice cars completely fine were still under 2k.

I paid $2200 for my S13 at the end of 07' when things were still kinda high, it was running SR, however auto and rodknock'd, but with a perfectly straight body, greddy fmic, boost cont, turbotimer, 3" downpipe and exhaust, J30 vlsd, not a bad deal considering a longblock was $800, 3k for a S13 with SR, a/c and everything working, good deal, peoples pos' around here with jack shit working, knockoff parts, and smashed up from wannabe drifting, and ruined quarter panels from trying to halfass some garbage wheels on, not so great, but hey think what you like
full on track cars can take a lot more liberties with shit than a street car. bell bottom kits and crazy wheel fitment look cool sliding on a track, but when i want to drive to taco bus, im going to ruin all of that shit. so it just doesnt work for me. function over fashion.
Originally Posted by osama tim laden
also, im about to blow my moderator status by deleteing all of davids posts
R.I.P. Tim

SR, RB, and LS1 into S13/14 harnesses converted.

SR 13/13- $120, 13/14 or 14/13 $180
RB $200
LS1 $250