Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

question about IACV and AEM

Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 AM
Baby Rhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about IACV and AEM

ok got a question hopefully someone can give me a solid answer. can i just leave my IACV unplugged if i am using a AEM, or does it still need to be plugged in?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 AM
buildin' it

you can keep it and let it do all of the work,
or, you can set up your tune to control idle.
Most people will set a target idle and then have spark timing try to control the idle, and then do the same thing with fuel trim. You would technically loose the "cold idle/fast idle" stuff, but you could technically alter the maps to compensate for that too.
My personal opinion. That is the mostly correct way to do it. You want the engine to run as perfectly as possible based off of the tune. That doesn't just mean making mad power high in the rpm ranges. That also means the ability to fall from those rpms, catch itself, and maintain an idle. That is all done by the tune. Once that is all done, then add in the IACV to assist when/if needed.
Ideally, the tune will compensate for power steering, and a/c and other accessories. But, it is very difficult to maintain a fuel efficient idle set up and compensate for all of those things. So you come up with the best compromise possible. Then add in the IACV to pick up the slack when the tune can't keep up. The best example is, when you are turning the wheels, the a/c kicks on, and your electric fans kick on. That's when the IACV will step in make sure the idle doesn't drop too low. While the tune will recover from the sudden dip, the concern is that too much time spent below a certain threshold, means a dramatic drop in oil pressure, and that in turn, kills engines. For a ka24de, that threshold is right at 500 rpms. Even the stock tune will recover when the RPMs drop below 500. The problem is, every moment below 500 rpms is a moment the engine is starving for oil.
Make sense?

Last edited by Empire; 11-23-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Baby Rhino

yes thank you makes perfect sence
Old 11-23-2011, 02:46 PM

keep it plugged in.

my lag is your courtesy head start

ATTENTION.... installing a head gasket, head studs or pistons and rods in your otherwise STOCK engine dose not make it a "built" engine! stop listing you cars for sale saying they are built when its not!!