Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

S13 redtop rough idle/odd throttle response HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 AM
(O=O/--RPS13--\O=O)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S13 redtop rough idle/odd throttle response HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi everyone, hope to find help on this issue. I have an s13 redtop in my hatch. It's been in there a little over 2 years and the car has never really been driven because I lost my license. I've had this problem pretty much the whole time. The engine starts right up ALWAYS without hesitation, however, it seems that in warmer weather, it idles very rough and there is a choppy lag when giving it gas or even holding steady throttle. On the other hand, I've noticed when the wealther is colder (60s and below) this problem completely goes away and the engine screams like a champ with absolutely no hiccups. The engine is completely stock except for an HKS cold air intake. Hopefully someone has some insight to this problem. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 AM

have you replaced your coolant temp sensor? cleaned your maf? checked for vacuum and boost leaks. i had a bad tps and it had a wierd idle
Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 AM
(O=O/--RPS13--\O=O)

There is a SOHC MAF on it right now because my SR MAF went bad. When I first put a sohc maf on it ran fine, then started the problem it has now. The current maf is the third sohc maf because I thought that was the problem. It's just so odd that it runs two totally different ways depending on the temperature, (I'm not talking about the slight different colder air temps have on all cars). I mean when it's cold outside it runs like it just left the factory and when it's warm outside it stumbles, has bad throttle response, and dark gray smoke coming out of the exhaust
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 AM

when was the coolant temp sensor last replaced?, that thing can cause alot of wierd issues. id replace that first and see if that fixes your issue. they are kind of cheap. And for the grey smoke, that can mean its running rich. check the voltage on your tps with a voltage meter, it shoud read, i think, .45 volts with the car off and the ignition on, if the voltage is significantly higher than your tps is bad or needs to be adjusted, in that case the computer is being told that the throttle body is open, even know its closed, causing it to run rich.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 PM

Coolant temp sensor is prob bad. I likes your sig, even though your s13 is weaksauce.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 AM
(OO\____/OO)

check the voltage on the TPS while you're at it... had the same problem before, it was both the CTS and TPS...

set TBS voltage to .45, install a new CTS and rock out with your cock out.

Originally Posted by sean1
Shit'll buff out.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 AM
(O=O/--RPS13--\O=O)

thanks for all the input guys, i really appreciate it. the cts seems to be the most popular issue lol. the ecu is throwing a 55 code, can the cts still be the problem even though the ecu isnt throwing a code for it? probably gonna change it anyway because most of the input im getting from different people is that is one of the first things that need to be replaced after a swap.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM

a code 55 means no faults. i dont believe it will throw a code if the cts ic bad, mine didnt.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 AM
(O=O/--RPS13--\O=O)

Ok, temp sensor replaced. Also changed the spark plugs because they were so fouled and black it was ridiculous, and reeked of gas. Plugs are gapped to 0.035. Still running super rich, seemingly more than before and just puking out black smoke. I'm thinking bad coil pack(s), but I haven't checked the tps yet, that is first.

Last edited by Bullitt_S13; 01-30-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM

does it break up when driving? tps made mine run super rich as well as a bad iacv