Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Where to get exhaust decibel tested?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:11 AM
no

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get exhaust decibel tested?

I got an exhaust ticket and I recently went to court for it and plead not guilty. I explained to the judge that I had an exhaust gasket leak and repaired it by replacing the gasket. I didn't have a receipt for the gasket so he said that the citation has to go to trial.... I have an rsr exmag and it's really quiet. I was wondering where I could go to have my exhaust decibel tested to prove that it operates under 90db. I intend to show up in court with this as proof and hopefully the ticket will get dismissed. I got pulled over on I4 passing through Kissimmee doing 65mph by a state trooper and he gave me an exhaust ticket... profiling? I think so.
Here's a pic of the offensive exhaust.

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Formerly IThaJokaI

Wow thats shitty, I dont know of anywhere that can do that.

Cant you just show the officer that wrote the ticket, and have him dismiss it?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 AM
no

The court system in Kissimmee is retarded... State of Fl vs Me. I was thinking maybe sound advice or some stereo shop?

dont blame shift and make this about me. this is time you could be applying online to be a bagger at publix.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Electronicals master ;P

good idea^

maybe egay has a cheapo decibal tester? lol, go bill nye the science guy on their asses and bring them outsside and demonstrate

R.I.P. Tim Aldrich
Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 AM
kings cannot fall.

hey, guess what.
its a modified exhaust, and therefore illegal.
take your lumps and move on with life.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 AM
no

aftermarket =/= modified, modified means altering the original. I'm sure you could argue the semantics of this all day, and that's the beauty of the legal system.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Please hold...

Which is what an aftermarket exhuast does. Your exhaust is not an OE replacement, so its been modified.

Also, FL now does not do the "fix it" ticket anymore so if you get cited for something as simple as a bad turn signal your stuck with the ticket, and I'm fairly sure your exhaust leak falls under that catigory.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM
^^^I'm with stupid

Originally Posted by osama tim laden
hey, guess what.
its a modified exhaust, and therefore illegal.
take your lumps and move on with life.
+1
it is what it is.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 AM

You might get lucky but more than likely you'll end up with a ticket. Most cops don't ticket for exhausts unless youve already gotten pulled over and are being a dick but i guess he wasnt having a good day.

I know a handful of people that have argued in court that their cars are 10+ years old and had to get a new exhaust due to old exhaust failure, and that the new one is under the sound limit. But thats alot of luck involved as well.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 AM
no

(2) OPERATING NOISE LIMITS.--No person shall operate or be permitted to operate a vehicle at any time or under any condition of roadway grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in such a manner as to generate a sound level in excess of the following limit for the category of motor vehicle and applicable speed limit at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel under measurement procedures established under subsection (3).
(a) For motorcycles other than motor-driven cycles:
Sound level limit
Speed limit
35 mph or less Speed limit
over 35 mph Before January 1, 1979 82 dB A 86 dB A On or after January 1, 1979 78 dB A 82 dB A

(b) For any motor vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,000 pounds or more:
Sound level limit
Speed limit
over 35 mph On or after January 1, 1975 86 dB A 90 dB A

(c) For motor-driven cycles and any other motor vehicle not included in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b):
Sound level limit
Speed limit
over 35 mph Before January 1, 1979 76 dB A 82 dB A On or after January 1, 1979 72 dB A 79 dB A

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

If my exhaust meets these requirements, they have to dismiss.