Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

spots on pistons?

Old 04-17-2005, 02:15 PM
shift.............vroooom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spots on pistons?

Ok well, i pulled all my spark plugs and looked down on the pistons with a flash light. All of the pistons had black carbon deposit on them but there were little spots where you could see the piston (metallic color of the piston). I dont know what the hell, is this normal or what? Also, back when my car was overheating i pulled the plugs and looked down on the pistons and found the number 1 and 4 pistons wet with what seemed to be fuel. One of the sr20 guys there said that the jwt ecu fires the injectors in a sequence and that when u turn the car off sometimes it dumps a bit of fuel out? Theres was also these spots where you could see the piston. This is new to me but whatever. Anyway, this was back when it was overheating. Now they seem to be dry (thank god) but just have those dots on them. What could this be? Detonation? Fuel washing away some of the carbon somehow? Is this normal? I mean, my car is running rich so i dont see how it could be detonating. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Norlandt

http://inductionperformance.com/
Induction Performance - 727.505.1423
AEM EMS Tuning, Builds, Assembly, Custom Kits, Installs and more.....
Old 04-17-2005, 03:23 PM
beep boop

to much fuel what you are seeing is a "clean" spot. have you had the car tuned? maybe a little less fuel is in order
Old 04-17-2005, 05:53 PM

Hmm, you think thats what it is? Im running pretty rich and no i havent got the car tuned yet because i have 2 exhaust leaks. One where the turbo and downpipe meet and one 2ft after where the exhaust hooks up to a flange. I thought it would be from lacking fuel or something buti dont see how because i have a jwt ecu and afc which im running a bit rich on purpose. Clean spot? Have you seen this before? First time ive seen this happen. Its hard to get tools in there so i havent been able to fix the exhaust leaks......

Last edited by cubanprince1; 04-17-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:45 PM
beep boop

yeah when i had a bad injector on my car it was dumping fuel in #3 cyl and when i took the head off for other reasons.. there was a spot right where fuel would drip after i shut the car off..also my buddys ka motor did something like that with supra injectors and a bad coolant temp sensor and no fuel tuning
Old 04-18-2005, 05:06 AM

bad injectors eh? Well, i tried to see if an injector was leaking by pulling the rail and turning the key but theres was so much pressure it shot an injector or two at me lol. I did this because my oil keeps smelling like gas and i thought that maybe i have a leaky injector? Anywayz, i appreciate the help and please keep em coming .

Norlandt