Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

Brake job PITA!

Old 02-14-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake job PITA!

I've got a set of Axxis pads and Brembo rotors that are going on my car. I've pushed/screwed the piston all the way back into the caliper as far as it goes and installed the pads. However the gap between the pads is about 1/8th inch too small to fit over the rotors. Can I take a belt sander or something and knock the pads down a bit or is there something else I should try? Is this a common problem with aftermarket pads/rotors?
Thanks.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:19 PM
highway whore

i had the same problem.

i said F it, i'll be upgradeing to Z32 brakes soon enough

so i just used the meatier of the 2 pads for each side with a new pad. and once it wares down some more i will swap in the others if need be.

but i should be dropping my subframe and re-doing/building the set up in the next month after i get back from texas...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 AM

haha, never thought of doing it that way, but i dont want to either. Having two different compound pads working together just doesn't seem optimal to me. Plus I paid over 150 for these things, I wanna use them!
Old 02-16-2005, 04:21 PM
highway whore

Originally Posted by TNathe
haha, never thought of doing it that way, but i dont want to either. Having two different compound pads working together just doesn't seem optimal to me. Plus I paid over 150 for these things, I wanna use them!
ehhh i got the $20 pads from autozone.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:35 PM
dan
Get the fuck off my lawn

loosen the bleeder while you screw the caliper piston back in. it'll squeeze some fluid out, but opening the bleeder will relieve the pressure a tad to do so. also get the biggest flat screwdriver you can find (i have a 3 foot beast) and put between pads and pry open and try to slide it over the rotor.

might have to bleed that individual brake if u open it up but it works way easier than trying to do other stuff.

also invest in the caliper piston turning tool....WAY easier than using sawed off old needle nose pliers to try and turn it

as much as i absolutely HATE brake jobs, i have become a master at them...so i dont have to spend as much time with the bloody things.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:05 AM

Yeah I got those bishes on thurrr. Belt sander is your friend! Dan, the bleeder wouldn't have made a difference, I had the brake lines completely removed in order to swap them with the SS ones. I just put a set of channel locks on the piston and she screwed right on in. I've never been one for buying special tools. I've either made my own or Jerry rigged it. One step closer now to puttin her back on the road. Next weekend I should be prowling around.