Mitsubishi Tech AWD and all things DSM Central

Alcohol Injection

Old 11-02-2004, 06:09 PM
www.myspace.com/filjar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcohol Injection

Thinking about purchasing Brian's alcohol injection set up that he had on his mirage. Anything you guys can tell me or warn me about alcohol injection?

My basic understanding is that alcohol injection essentially raises the octane allowing more boost.

Is there any kind of formula i can use so i dont over boost?

If set up right, what kind of gains could i expect?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Basicaly when set up right it will allow you to run more boost on pump gas with a larger turbo.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:14 PM
www.myspace.com/filjar

i seee. Is there any kind of formula or is it just guess/check with boost settings?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Omnipotence

The people who use alki don't use it to raise the octane level. It is actually used as a cooling application helping you to acheive more boost on low octane fuels.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:19 PM
www.myspace.com/filjar

I thought it just slowed the natural combustion of the lower octane fuel, therefore allowing more boost to run without detonation. Not for cooling. Whatever, anyway my question is; Is it safe? Be honest, will i have more problems than perks?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Its like any performance mod. It is safe if used properly. If you have no idea how to use it then you need someone to help you set it up or just leave it alone.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Omnipotence

How would it slow the natural combustion of lower octane fuel? Alcohol actually burns cooler. Knock is caused by heat. Ever notice how a car runs better in cold weather? It's cause cooler intake temps = more power. So just think of the possibilities of injecting alcohol into your intake that drops temps so low it actually creats condensation on the runners. It allows you to run high boost with low actane gas cause it reduces heat. All knock is is heat. Thats how you burn up a piston.

Yes it is safe, alot of drag cars run strictly methonal and there are quite a few dsm's doing impressive things with alki injection.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:26 PM
www.myspace.com/filjar

Sweet. Looking good. Yeah if i were to buy the alki injection i would have brian help set it up and stuff. I was thinking the natural combustion was due to pressure? At high pressure things combust do they not?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Omnipotence

That has to do with your compression ratio. The higher the compression the more heat, the more heat the easier to go boom. You burn pistons from too much heat, you break rods from too much pressure, not compression. You can't run high compression motor with high boost because it's just too much heat. And notice how high compression race motors run cooler burning fuel.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Elitist Supra Asshole :)

its a band-aid for an inadequate fuel system or poor octane levels... its not a cure-all. its a finite source; when youre out of alky, youre out of boost... sort of. youll be limited to low boost. plus... it creates a possibility of burning a piston, like if your doing a run and your tank goes emtpy but you dont know it. its just creating a situation where stuff can go wrong. i wouldnt rely on it to make power. i would rely on adequate fuel system sizing, race gas or a bad ass intercooler setup.

you know when youre out of high octane gas, and with a datalogger, youll know when your fuel system is at its limits.

the octane-increasing benefit gained by using alcohol is marginal at best. in a 10% concentration, ethanol will raise octane by 2.5-3.0 units. 10% concentration is typically referred to as E-10 fuel, a reformulated gasoline which contains ethanol or MTBE as a oxygenate. it helps the gas burn cleaner to meet the Clean Air Act. the only problem is that the alcohol (Ethanol or MTBE) reacts w/ the water vapor in the air and will cause the fuel to separate into a gasoline layer and an alcohol/water layer. My mom was telling me about this and how it sucks for the Californians because the shelf-life is reduced w/ RFG's. when it separates out, the octane is reduced. the MTBE is Methanol (wood liquor) reacted with Ether and produces Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether which is allowed in a 15% concentration over Ethanol (corn liquor).

the Main benefit of alky injection is the latent heat absorbed by the evaporation of the alky liquid. it reduces the intake charges substantially and will help control knock as 4drwhore already stated. but a properly sized and tuned fuel system will control knock quite welll on pump gas. running Toluene/Xylene additives will only reduce the knock tendancy more and allow more boost or cylinder pressures, thus a higher tolerance for heat.

tune a rich curve for street duty on pump gas and then tune a "lean" curve for track/weekend duty on xylene/race gas.

alky/water injection is just a crutch, to me. i would personally never put myself in a situation to rely on an item which has the possibilty of running out on me when i most need it, like nitrous on a slow car.