Mazda Tech If your Mazda is a brap brap,or a zoom zoom, then this is your place.

Air Pump???

Old 02-06-2008, 04:28 AM
Sic semper tyrannis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by norachelhere
no, not removing it. re-routing it to make it work for the motor...

I'm thinking that the air pump being disconnected like that was just an added problem.. I'm worried that it might just be covering up the issue.. I don't understand how that would have gotten worse and worse ya know...
and the whole cat getting fucked up thing isn't a direct issue. The cat gets clogged up because the 5th and 6th ports are open all the time, which means there is actually too much fuel in the lower RPMs. therefore, there is fuel in the exhaust which in turn burns up the cat. the air pump actually just heats the cat up quicker so it starts to work sooner...
yes and no
with the air pump disconnected the ports stay closed unless wired open

the air being pumped into the cat does heat it up but more importantly it does this by providing the exhaust gasses with some air to further combust

also the VDI system is very very very important to performance for this car - think of it being like variable valve timing only not really

norachelhere I don't want you to think I'm bashing on you please, (cuz I'm not, you've asked some really good questions)
these are interesting little engines and it's not just the spinning triangle that you have to wrap your head around to understand
they have alot of strengths and some definite weaknesses
so have some fun and keep readin

Last edited by Niburu; 02-06-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:10 AM
fails.....

Originally Posted by Niburu
yes and no
with the air pump disconnected the ports stay closed unless wired open

the air being pumped into the cat does heat it up but more importantly it does this by providing the exhaust gasses with some air to further combust

also the VDI system is very very very important to performance for this car - think of it being like variable valve timing only not really

norachelhere I don't want you to think I'm bashing on you please, (cuz I'm not, you've asked some really good questions)
these are interesting little engines and it's not just the spinning triangle that you have to wrap your head around to understand
they have alot of strengths and some definite weaknesses
so have some fun and keep readin
oh no, not at all, you've been rather helpful.
I just have a general working knowledge on engines, so using that, I was trying to apply it to these. I've seen these motors at the track stripped down to nothing (basically) so it just clicked in my head that most of the crap bolted to it was emissions, or otherwise related.
Then I saw the air pump and i knew that I could make that do something else more "productive" I've been working it out on paper to try and get a model of what it all does using the FSM the ensencorp hooked me up with. It almost seems like a lot of it can be turned into electronic controled, instead of just vacuum/pressure controled. Maybe not the best for a dialy driven car, but might be advantageous to a track car. I don't know, maybe I just get crazy ideas and have a hard time with the "its not worth it" excuse... either way, is a hell of a learning curve...
do the older s4 motors have that same VDI system? or is it just controled differently? It seems that taking things like the air pump off of those motors doesn't really damage anything...
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Vote for me

On the S5 motors, pretty much the last thing you want to do is take the air pump off IMHO, unless you're prepared to do ALOT of work. Those Corollas we saw at the track that one night had the 13B's out of an S4, they don't have VDI, so you don't need the air from the pump to open the valve

Plus, for the power they were making, they should have just dropped a TII in there.....they would have made same/more power for probably less money, and less of a headache
"Just as I support my life, neither by robbery nor alms, but by my own effort, so I do not seek to derive my happiness from the injury or the favor of others, but earn it by my own achievement."
Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 AM
fails.....

Originally Posted by EnsenCorp
Plus, for the power they were making, they should have just dropped a TII in there.....they would have made same/more power for probably less money, and less of a headache

if we've never agreed on anything... I agree with you on that...
Damn, those guys tickled me a little...

I've actually seen RX7s at the track all stripped down... (since the run in with the corrolla kids) so they had the s4 motor...
hhmmm... so maybe, what I need to do is start working it out on paper based off of an S4 motor and see what I come up with...
If you do the wiring, and what not, and re route the air pump so it works the way we had mentioned, it actually gives you some decent gains... not earth shattering, and maybe not worth all of the work, but still...
So by that, I would assume that the "re-routing" process would be much easier on an S4, so it might just be worth it...

.... maybe....
Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Vote for me

Ya, those dudes were the biggest scam artists I've ever met.

"Come join our racing team so we can strip your car completely down, hack the shit out of it, and let you watch from the sidelines!"

They had more bullshit spewing from their mouths than a politician
"Just as I support my life, neither by robbery nor alms, but by my own effort, so I do not seek to derive my happiness from the injury or the favor of others, but earn it by my own achievement."
Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 AM
fails.....

Ya, those dudes were the biggest scam artists I've ever met.

"Come join our racing team so we can strip your car completely down, hack the shit out of it, and let you watch from the sidelines!"

They had more bullshit spewing from their mouths than a politician
honestly, I don't think they were scam artists, I think they were just absolute dumb asses... I honestly think they thought they knew what they were talking about...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
fails.....

I should just re name this thread to carl's and phil's bullshit about RX7s thread...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Vote for me

Originally Posted by norachelhere
I should just re name this thread to carl's and phil's bullshit about RX7s thread...
Might as well. Wanna buy me new suspension?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
fails.....

Might as well. Wanna buy me new suspension?
if buy you new suspension, you mean use my credit card and you just pay me every month for it, then sure... whatcha got in mind?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Vote for me

Thumbs up

Lol, I was just kidding, but now that you mention it.....