Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

crank pulley cracked... unsafe?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Smith & Wesson Protected.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a used STOCK one to replace it. Don't buy aftermarket that are not balanced.

-Induction Performance ALPHA Tuned.
-ROQUE MACHINE SHOP For ALL your fabrication needs.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Registered Hater

Originally Posted by YARO
Get a used STOCK one to replace it. Don't buy aftermarket that are not balanced.
Comments like this are why I question aftermarkets balance and what not. Used were only $25 less than new when I searched. I wonder what kind of force a pulley has when the motor is revved out to 9k and it breaks off lol

Honda builds go from yay to gay in the matter of a K.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:28 PM
CRAWFORD BUILT

a shit ton

Gainesville Crew Member #1
DC Crew Member #23
Old 03-14-2010, 05:49 PM
DC Crew Member #1

I will say one last time that there is nothing wrong with a brand name aftermarket pulley. I would never buy a no name ebay one but the brand name ones are fine.

Ultimately it is your decision on which way you go just remember if getting an aftermarket one, you will need to get different belt sizes. If you stay stock you will be able to reuse the belts on the motor currently.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:03 PM
save the s.o.h.c

i would also say do not get a aftermarket pulley. although they may be balanced themselfs they dont not have the damper inside them. i have ran on on a d15 before w/ not issues but i also have seen plety people run them and spin bearings.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered Hater

Originally Posted by custom240sx
I will say one last time that there is nothing wrong with a brand name aftermarket pulley. I would never buy a no name ebay one but the brand name ones are fine.

Ultimately it is your decision on which way you go just remember if getting an aftermarket one, you will need to get different belt sizes. If you stay stock you will be able to reuse the belts on the motor currently.

Reccomend me some brands please. Would the aftermarket be any better? And my belts are all cut, sizes were fucked up from the begining... I went to the store and got the belts for a B18C5, the alternator was the big problem I believe. The B18C5 belt was huge! The alternator at full adjustment, the belt was still way too big. Ended up just getting a random size after like 2 more trips to the store trying GSR belts since those didnt work either lol. Must be some JDM bracket or something throwing it off IDK?

Honda builds go from yay to gay in the matter of a K.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Smith & Wesson Protected.

obx is not "name brand" is knock off Chinese stuff. On something hanging on the side of my nice high revving motor I do not want some unbalanced piece of "billet aluminum". Your best bet is a stock one which is a harmonic damper. Also OBX has the timing marks off and alot of times not even there. So you can't properly time your engine. As far as aftermarket goes ATI and fluiddampr are 2 great ones.

-Induction Performance ALPHA Tuned.
-ROQUE MACHINE SHOP For ALL your fabrication needs.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Living in Black & White..

i would go stock.. no real gains from a light crank pulley.. just a bit better throttle response.. and thats if you have no ps or ac..

Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 PM
No really,....it is

i was just going to ask this. most are "race pulleys" right? can you get them with a/c and p/s grooves too? (sorry, haven't done any research on these and didn't know) also, has anyone on here thats actually used one on their car noticed a difference? if so what kind?

and from what i always read, its always the people that have never even used an aftermarket pulley that say "their not balanced" or "their pieces of shit and will damage your engine" but from everyone that's actually used one haven't said anything like that.....i wonder why that is..

and if your bent on getting one, go for it. i would just get a good used one for 20 to 40 bucks and be done with it just to be on the safe side. you don't want that thing shattering at high rpm's. its just cast metal. def not the strongest.

Originally Posted by Tampa's_Slow_EG6
i would go stock.. no real gains from a light crank pulley.. just a bit better throttle response.. and thats if you have no ps or ac..

I got V-TECH AND HEADERS!
Old 03-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Living in Black & White..

Originally Posted by My Honda Is Slow
i was just going to ask this. most are "race pulleys" right? can you get them with a/c and p/s grooves too? (sorry, haven't done any research on these and didn't know) also, has anyone on here thats actually used one on their car noticed a difference? if so what kind?

and from what i always read, its always the people that have never even used an aftermarket pulley that say "their not balanced" or "their pieces of shit and will damage your engine" but from everyone that's actually used one haven't said anything like that.....i wonder why that is..

and if your bent on getting one, go for it. i would just get a good used one for 20 to 40 bucks and be done with it just to be on the safe side. you don't want that thing shattering at high rpm's. its just cast metal. def not the strongest.
ok to begging with, i had the three rib pulley on my single cam, then i went with a two rib light one from a vx.. this is a stock replacement but the weight difference is like about 2 pounds,, i only have my alt running on the pulley no ac/ps. the only gain i felt was a bit of a better throttle response but not much else.. i didnt take it to the dyno or anything, so i dont know if any horse power was gained... But if anything was gained it was throttle response..

I have nothing against aftermarket pulleys, ive never had a bad experience w them.. i had one on my accord and it was fine.. the previous owner had installed it, so i have no way of knowing if any gains where made or not..

And yes you can get them with 3 ribs, they are just made from lighter metal..

Last edited by Tampa's_Slow_EG6; 03-14-2010 at 10:23 PM.