General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Math 101: Gas Prices vs. Minimum Wage

Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy a honda. my 89 crx had me at like 40-50 mpg.

now my stock 90 accord get's 30+ and usually 400 miles a tank. $36 to fill up at Hess with Regular. $40 with plus. next check i'm putting premium in just for fun.

so let's see.. i'm on the phones for 8 hours 5 days a week at $8 an hour. so that's 80 hours on a check. that's around $600 for two weeks. any hours over 40 per week is $12/hr. and holidays--$16 an hour all hours.

i love me job. when it's slow-very often, i read all my car and drivers, motor trends, super streets, import tuner, and dub mags. and if it's really slow you don't have to leave if they ask you to!

i've already had 5 other minimum wage jobs, so yeah, just bounce around or work at Walgreens and get $6.50 an hour.

if you'll would stay at your current jobs longer, you'd get that .25 raise too! i wish i would've stuck around..

So work at Walgreens or a $8+/hr inbound call center where you get paid training.

and go to Hess. it's cheaper than mobil, rally, and everyone else. and usually .01 less than circle k

and get a honda, and drive 5 over the speed limit and if you get a ticket take the class, and don't get in a wreck because you're insurance will kill you. and get good grades to show the insurance company.

i've been hit 2 times. once in my dad's lexus, and once in my CRX which was totalled.-not my fault, and my insurance still skyrocketed

Last edited by silentdonut; 08-08-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:35 PM

cars can run cleaner and use less gas thats true some say that use americans need and want the big v8s and such to feel good about our selves but i think that if you ask most they would say they don't care how big or powerfull the motor is as long as it not to slow and under powerd. i hate the eruos for hatin on us but why do you think they away love there 4 cyclinder cars? they been paying for high gas for years!!

oh i hate the liberals thing that seems to be the catch phase of the year im a politocal (<-- spelled wrong) guy but it seems to me that both side use this term when they don't like the way some thing going ... if liberals are so bad and sceeming why aren't they all rounded up and in jail not a bush fan or anyone in polatics for that matter sorry i work with a guy that uses the liberal saying all day it just makes me rant ..not aimed at anyone
Old 08-08-2006, 03:42 PM
rocktastic

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Does anyone here know anyone, just one person, that makes minimum wage and has a family?
Not personally, but they're out there. The thing to remember is minimum wage isn't a place most people decide to end up—it's a stage people go through while getting an education/otherwise bettering onesself, which eventually facilitates a better job. Stereotyping minimum wage earners isn't taking the whole picture into account. Just because someone's making minimum wage doesn't mean they are some fuck-up crack head welfare case. A good chunk of the time, that person is working towards something better.

Wouldn't you agree, then, that those people should be able to afford basic necessities?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

Originally Posted by robofunc
Not personally, but they're out there. The thing to remember is minimum wage isn't a place most people decide to end up—it's a stage people go through while getting an education/otherwise bettering onesself, which eventually facilitates a better job. Stereotyping minimum wage earners isn't taking the whole picture into account. Just because someone's making minimum wage doesn't mean they are some fuck-up crack head welfare case. A good chunk of the time, that person is working towards something better.

Wouldn't you agree, then, that those people should be able to afford basic necessities?

I definitely agree. Many people go to school to better themselves and work part time jobs (not careers) for minimal (or close to it) wage with out the need of a car. A car is not a basic necessity, its a luxury. If you are smart you will not worry about cars and any little extras in life and just worry about getting a good degree. So when you graduate you can financially leap past most that went right into the work force after HS.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:42 PM
No really,....it is

very true /\/\/\i work at a pizza place at night just so i can go to school during the day

I got V-TECH AND HEADERS!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

As for the oil companies being greedy.
As a stock holder I do not ever want to hear that a company I have shares in did not do all it could to have its best quarter possible.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by chi town brat
TR cracks me up

Basically it comes down to this:

If you are earning $5.15 which is $4.76 after taxes and you pay $2.97 for every gallon of gas you put in a vehicle it leaves you $1.79 per hour that you earned to go towards something else. That is 62% of your earned dollar per hour going into your gas tank per gallon.

Okay at $6.40 per hour which is $5.92 after tax and you pay $2.97 for every gallon of gas you put in a vehicle it leaves you $2.95 per hour that you earned to go towards something else. That is 50% of your earned dollar per hour going into your gas tank per gallon. At least this is only half.
Again, you arent using a 40 hour work week.

I could work 1 hour a week and say 100% of my salary goes into my gas tank.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:49 PM
feels good to be gangsta

Cannot afford gas? Ride the bus or get a better job..

Cannot afford life? Do what is necessary to make your situation better. Move in with parents, buy food smarter (I eat every 2-3 hours a day and spend a max of 40 dollars a week on food, and thats only because I eat alot.)...

There are ways to survive, people are just too lazy to figure them out.

However, the fact of the matter is that 90% of the people that go to work are not *seriously* effected by gas prices. Hell, if you drive 200-250 miles in a week the amount you spend is only going to be roughly 14 dollars more then back when gas was 2$ a gallon. For most people, it costs them what... 5-10 bucks more a week for gas? Thats if they drive under 200 miles a week, which most people do.

What gas prices are REALLY effecting, are businesses both small and large. Not the everyday citizen.

I buy 93, I have too, and it only cost me an extra 13 dollars a week when I was driving alot at my old job.

Originally Posted by Xynapse
If a GOP scumbag takes that seat it's war.
Originally Posted by Xynapse
wtf a GOP candidate wins in one of the most liberal states in America...
Need proof Xynapse has absolutely no idea what the fuck he is talking about?

Just click here, and be "Highly Enlightened".

Last edited by Decoy_TT; 08-08-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:20 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

omg

my only point is that for 1 hour (NOT 40 OR 80 HOURS PER WEEK) that you work that a certain percentage just went in the gas tank so that you could make it back and forth to work.

I do understand, okay I do understand, how you look at the 40, 80 or anywhere inbetween work week that it is still only 6.25 hours that you had to work of your work week that you had to work just for gas.

Thats it, no more. I swear no more than that.

Just one hour people. Just a simple break down of one hour.

Its not an arguement about those who work only for minimum wage, it is just used as an example of how much it take out of a single hour of work.

btw thanks Robofunc

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production

Quick Reply: Math 101: Gas Prices vs. Minimum Wage