General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Math 101: Gas Prices vs. Minimum Wage

Old 08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Grandpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not how I read it:

Okay at $6.40 per hour which is $5.92 after tax and you pay $2.97 for every gallon of gas you put in a vehicle it leaves you $2.95 per hour that you earned to go towards something else.

A percentage of your pay has always gone to fuel.

The first 1/2 hr I work pays for my gas for that day. The next hour or so goes towards the car insurance, the comes the car payment. I break for lunch, and start working on paying my house payment and other necessities.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:35 PM
rocktastic

Originally Posted by Dano Moparo
Not how I read it:

Okay at $6.40 per hour which is $5.92 after tax and you pay $2.97 for every gallon of gas you put in a vehicle it leaves you $2.95 per hour that you earned to go towards something else.

A percentage of your pay has always gone to fuel.

The first 1/2 hr I work pays for my gas for that day. The next hour or so goes towards the car insurance, the comes the car payment. I break for lunch, and start working on paying my house payment and other necessities.
Right. The problem being, if the fuel percentage keeps getting bigger while wages stay the same, you finna be broke.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

This is stupid.
If you cant afford gas then take the bus or get a education, get off welfare and get a good paying job.
If people would spend more time trying to better themselves and less time complaining about what they don't have and blaming the world for it. We would all be better off.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Grandpa

proper math would be

roughly .75 cents of every hour you work would go towards gas. Now thats using a 40 hr week and 10 gallons to get you there each week.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Fucking HONDA enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom N
This is stupid.
If you cant afford gas then take the bus or get a education, get off welfare and get a good paying job.
If people would spend more time trying to better themselves and less time complaining about what they don't have and blaming the world for it. We would all be better off.
+1
Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 PM

ok that the stupidist thing i ever heard!!(with al the repect in the world for your thoughts) you can't just say get a better job get off welfar and that stuff ...

look at it this way thers always going to be a lower class a middel class and upper calss the upper class makes money off the lower calss . just because some is on welfar dosen't mean they want to be some people maybe a small amount need that service what a better job? are you going to cut my yard or work at walmart? someones got to do it repect peoples jobs!

so if you make the lower classs spend more money to live it just makes the upper classes work harder.. gas is just that they keep making us pay more and pretty soon you make the min wage people and the "welfare people" poor'er it not your ,falt but the upper class need to help bring up the lower class thats what this country was bulit on then we'll all be better off !

greed is what make gas go up and keep any other fuel from being found greed and money .. dam just makes me mad when people say its the poor peopls falt !!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Non DSM.....DSM guy

You aren`t trying to say that its not people on welfares fault their poor, its the rich people fault???
This country was built on hard work and people taking the initiative in life to better themselves. Not sitting around complaining and certainly not by living off welfare. (Don't even get me started on the welfare system)
Your right some have to work at walmart, but if you choose to be that person don't complain if you cant afford the luxuries of those that have good paying jobs. This is America and you have all the resources anyone could want to better yourself.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:08 PM

true point taken... but that not the problem its the gas prices going through the roof that the problem !

and no its not the rich people falt but the poor people help make them rich if you treat the poor better then you make you richer ...

and im the first one to say that most on welfare don't need to be there but like i said there are a small tiny amount the system dose help a tiny amount the one that use it to make them selves bette rnad gett off of welfare .. and also i beleave that you pick your jobs so deal with it but gas prices going up is not a welfare lazy people problem its a greed stupid polatics problems
Old 08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Grandpa

I would almost bet that 50% if not more of the people in this country that make minimum wage don't even drive.

And what happens when the price of gas goes down?

This has been an old liberal argument for years.

People you EARN income, you don't recieve it.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Motherfuckin Trend Killer

Oil companies...I know the development engineer for the modern chevy combustion chamber...Running 30:1 a/f ratios (more hp and NO detonation) in 1979, but chevy would not produce because of outside "pressure". Honda I-vtec for instance-You wanna know how the designer and prototyper for that was ran over 2 times in one week? I understand business, but when a 21yo(me) could double the gas mileage on almost any engine design (given a clean sheet) and the car companies fail, theres a tail wagging the dog.
They are murderers and crooks. They have a direct effect on the betterment of the world, and will reign supreme until the demise of democracy... or until I get a terminal illness and some ammo...
+1 for ethy.
Sorry for the rant

Quick Reply: Math 101: Gas Prices vs. Minimum Wage