General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Math 101: Gas Prices vs. Minimum Wage

Old 08-08-2006, 06:51 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Math 101: Gas Prices vs. Minimum Wage

As gas prices continue to rise, up comes the debate in the US Government about raising the minimum rate wage from the current $5.15 per hour.

Let’s take a look at the current minimum wage of $5.15 per hour and the average price of gas, as stated in the Tampa Tribune this morning August 8, 2006, of $2.97 per gallon for 87 Octane and see how much a person on minimum wage has to work to fill up their 10.0 gallon gas tank.

I used the website Payroll Calculator to find that of that $5.15 per hour we take home per hour in the State of Florida, using the zip code 33619, after taxes, is $4.76 per hour. That is with a tax status of filing Single with 0 deductions taken out, no 401K, health insurance, etc.

So you are making $4.76 per hour on a weekly payroll.

The average gas price for 87 Octane as stated before is $2.97 per gallon.

$4.76 - $2.97 = $1.79

$1.79 per hour is left of your hourly wage for food, entertainment, rent, utilities, daily expenses, etc.

To fill a 10.0 gallon tank that you use weekly for back and forth to work, school, running kids around, shopping, living, etc. you pay $29.70.

In order to pay for the tank of gas costing $29.70 you have to work 6.25 hours to earn $29.73 after tax.

Now imagine if your car only takes 93 Octane, your tank takes over 20 gallons a week to get you around or if you own a gas guzzler. Not fun.

Just wanted to do some math today, to get a better look at how the price of gas can affect our lifestyle. Rent is not cheap around Tampa, owning a home is nearly impossible and Condos are becoming the homes of the rich and famous for the most part.

Food prices are on the rise, entertainment is on the rise, even Wal-Mart’s prices have felt the fuel increase.

Amazing how big oil companies are showing huge profits but don’t maintain their own pipelines that have an overall effect on those profits.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 08-08-2006, 06:54 AM

My fucking tank takes 18 gallons... luckily I don't make min. wage but still who making min. wage would be dumb enough to drive around a V8 gas guzzler?

Old 08-08-2006, 06:58 AM

sooner or later we have to be getting a second job, just to fill up our gas tanks, now that sux.....
Old 08-08-2006, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by chi town brat
$4.76 - $2.97 = $1.79

$1.79 per hour is left of your hourly wage for food, entertainment, rent, utilities, daily expenses, etc.

This is misleading. This will not apply to every hour you work. Most people do not burn a gallon of gas for every hour they work.

Just wanted to do some math today, to get a better look at how the price of gas can affect our lifestyle. Rent is not cheap around Tampa, owning a home is nearly impossible and Condos are becoming the homes of the rich and famous for the most part.
You can buy a condo for under 100k. And I would venture to say the avgerage condo in tampa is 130-140. Thats nothing on a mortgage. Hardly falls under the rich and famous catagory.

However, a family on minimum wage would have a tough time surviving.

Last edited by corey r.; 08-08-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:07 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

makes you wonder how some families even make it ... outlook very bleak

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:08 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Originally Posted by corey r.
This is misleading. This will not apply to every hour you work. Most people do not burn a gallon of gas for every hour they work.
Look back and you will see that I stated that in a week for getting around town for daily living they use 10.0 gallons of gas. So that number is then justified that of that 6.25 hours you only earn $1.79 to live on.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Livin' Large

Minimum wage is $6.40 in Florida and goes up every single year with inflation. I don't see how raising minimum wage is going to do anything to help with gas prices. Everything will just go up to compensate but we've already beaten this horse before.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Grandpa

Well if you earn minimum wage you probly cant afford car insurance payments, let alone the price of fuel. Raising minimum wage only raises the prices of everything else. Its better to look for a higher paying job, than to let the gov. give you a raise.

If you can't afford gas, its time to use public transportation.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 AM

Look back and you will see that I stated that in a week for getting around town for daily living they use 10.0 gallons of gas. So that number is then justified that of that 6.25 hours you only earn $1.79 to live on.
Most people dont work 6.25 hours in 2 weeks. (paycheck period). What does that come to at 80 hours a paycheck?

Quick Reply: Math 101: Gas Prices vs. Minimum Wage