General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

06 Civic or Mazda3i?

Old 11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
putting on the ritz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no. I don't doubt that I'll throw some springs and rims, and maybe some suede ITR/Si/RSXs interior shit in it, but thats it and it wont happen anytime soon.

It's just below $17k for the Civic loaded like I want, and the comparable 3 is $16330.. MSRPs of course. hm
Old 11-02-2005, 04:54 PM
drives euro trash

The Mazda 3 is a great car until it needs warranty/TSB work...particularly if you need to take it in for service to a dealership in Hillsborough County (all owned by Ferman).

Getting normal warranty work and TSB's fixed by any of the Sperman Mazda dealerships has been nothing but lines of bullshit coming from the shop managers. Suzy presented them with a documented TSB for an A/C issue with her car. She even gave them the damn TSB number. The manager "couldn't find it" and stated he hasn't seen any other 3's with this problem. She also contacted Mazda Corporate for some help...they did nothing.

If you live in Pinellas or want to drive all the way out to Lakeland for warranty work...you may be better off. The dealership in Lakeland is familiar with the issues on her car, however getting out there to get the parts fixed is a pain.

Last edited by Alan; 11-02-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:13 PM
putting on the ritz

Originally Posted by Alan
The Mazda 3 is a great car until it needs warranty/TSB work...particularly if you need to take it in for service to a dealership in Hillsborough County (all owned by Ferman).

Getting normal warranty work and TSB's fixed by any of the Sperman Mazda dealerships has been nothing but lines of bullshit coming from the shop managers. Suzy presented them with a documented TSB for an A/C issue with her car. She even gave them the damn TSB number. The manager "couldn't find it" and stated he hasn't seen any other 3's with this problem. She also contacted Mazda Corporate for some help...they did nothing.

If you live in Pinellas or want to drive all the way out to Lakeland for warranty work...you may be better off. The dealership in Lakeland is familiar with the issues on her car, however getting out there to get the parts fixed is a pain.
Did you pay MSRP, I've never bought a new car so I'm not sure how much haggling room there is. The invoice of both cars is only about $1k less than the MSRP..

At least I have more than one choice, that way I'll be able to walk right out and they'll know I'm going to look at something else.

Not sure if I should checkout the Mazda first or Honda. Wonder who would inspire more fear into the salesperson.. The cheaper Mazda, or the Honda name.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:39 PM
drives euro trash

Suzy paid full MSRP for her Mazda 3 5-door. She bought the first model year and the 5-doors were fairly hard to come by at first, so the dealerships weren't dealing much at the time.

Seems that Mazda is offering a few incentives on most of their vehicles. I'd say there is no reason for you to pay MSRP on any new vehicle, particularly something as pedestrian as a Mazda 3 or Civic. However the demand for the new 2-door Civic non-Si seems very high and I doubt you'll pay under MSRP in the first few months before they start flooding the dealerships with those cars.

The Mazda 3 has wonderful driving dynamics in stock form (and even better with a simple spring upgrade). Same platform as the Volvo S40 and the European Ford Focus. IMO it is well worth the price to get the 2.3l. Quite a bit more torque at your fingertips makes TONS of difference, and the gas mileage is still pretty good. A "base" 2.3l 4-door is around $17k and it still comes with all sorts of cool standard goodies which aren't found in other cars in the same class.

I'm pretty biased towards Ford/Mazda, so I'd lean more towards the 3 than I would the Civic. Seems like the Mazda has more value in comparision. Honda has really inflated their price tags across all models over the last 5 or so years. Whatever happened to the affordable Si?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:10 PM
do it BIG!!

get the mazda..
i keep confusing the SI w/ this kia hatch thing and vice-versa
[edit]
oh yeah..civic coupe..its pretty nice
i'd still go for the Mazda..ZOOM ZOOM!

STANZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Last edited by OniS14; 11-02-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 PM
the whistles go whooo!!!1

If you'd like a "little wagon that doesn't look like a matrix" type of car, have you check out the Scion xA? It's very, very much in your price range, and you'll get 40 mpg too!

You can pick up a used 05 model, the better looking one (in my oppinion) for 12k easy. You should really look into it.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:25 AM
do it BIG!!

isnt 12k the MSRP for the xA? i just would not want to get an accident in something that small

STANZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Old 11-03-2005, 05:55 AM

It recieved 4 star crahs test ratings, for both front and side impact..it's a pretty safe car.

At least, I hope I'll never have to find out exactly how safe it is!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:25 PM
putting on the ritz

Yeah I looked at xA's for a split second. xB's also. I'll spend up to 18.. I dont know, the scions don't do much for me and the fact that they have the gauges in the middle annoys me. I really like them with rims and lowered. .but man the interior is gross.

There's a tC with 5k miles for 15k

I'm actually really considering the new chevy HHR. For some odd reason I really like it and could see it dark siler with black 20's. I'm getting old.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM

Ah,well,to each his own. The HHR is kinda cool. I would personally pick an xB over one but,that's just me.

I love the middle gauges and interior but, that's just my personal preference.