General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Convince me to build an Import

Old 10-09-2003, 09:38 PM
I <3 your mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well one good reason is so you lose your Mullet status. hehe

What would you be looking to make? road racing, drag, street car that can do alittle of both?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:48 PM
I <3 your mom

i mean set money limits goals shit like that, if your goign to ask this lets make it more real life. I could say i would get a R34 2 massive turbos bla bla bla Nawwwwwwwwwwws 5 bottles bla bla

come on now help us import guys out alittle
Old 10-09-2003, 09:49 PM

Auto-x, road racing, drifting, highway racing. On the drag strip a domestic is probly a better choice because of the low gear ratios and bigger displacement which means more torque. Imports are more dominant on the track and on the autox course because they usually have better handling and tend to be on the lighter side. Imports usually have better gas mileage but its not always true. Anybody can feel free to correct me because I don't really know if any of that is right.

There really is no reason to get an import or a domestic its all based on bias, previous experiences, or personal choice in aesthetics or the feeling of the drive.

My dad loves toyota reliability so I've always had a little bias towards toyota and after seeing the mr2, supra, celica, camry, and ae86 I fell in love with toyota. If someone was raised around ford's there most probly going to love fords as a person raised around mercedes will love mercedes and so on.

Also bad experiences with one car can chagne your whole perspective on a company, the first and only mercedes my dad owned was a lemon, despite the superior handling and the great power it always gave us troubles and still does to this day ... plus the maintenance costs are way too steep. And as a result mercedes don't usually go to well in my family rather toyotas are the most common choice.

As long as you don't hold one or the other on a pedestal it doesn't matter. The only reason why the debate domestic vs. import came about is because people can't respect the other cars domestics were here first and the foreign market started moving in. The good ole american people where to set in the domestic cars that they didn't want to mess with a foreign car.

I would drive an import simply because I'd rather have the precise engineering, better handling and a stiffer suspension, as well the sound of an import engine. Overall I think the imports are more of a twisty roads car and the domestics kick ass on the straight line but either can be tuned to do the other. There's tons of mustangs that go out and kick ass on the autox courses every weekend.

EDIT: Wow sorry for the long ass post I didn't think i wrote that much
Old 10-09-2003, 10:27 PM
I <3 your mom

fuck it then, either a built 240sx with a sr20det motor, or a built supra
Old 10-10-2003, 12:05 AM

i dunno but im thinking if a domestic guy is getting into imports he'd probly build an old school import like a datsun 500 or an old school rx7.

The old school imports were very similar to the smaller muscle cars of the 70s. Plus the old cars don't have as many electrical things to do deal with and it would be easier to switch to something around the same as a domestic or even simpler. Plus older import engine were carberuted and usually had a deeper groan than the b16's of today ^_^

Thats for a really hardcore domestic guys most of the domestic guy's dont have problems getting used to it, some guy on supraforums switched from a roush mustang to a supra and he seemed quite enthusiastic so basically it boils down to there bias, that will determine what kind of car they would look for in the import market.

Again just my opinion could be totally wrong ^_^
Old 10-10-2003, 03:53 AM
Devils advocate

If I were to build an import it would be a Porche or one of the MB two door V8 Roadsters. It would be expensive to do though.