Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Turbo 2.3 project???

Old 02-11-2003, 11:26 AM
OUCH!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 2.3 project???

Ok, I'm autocrossing so much now that I'm starting to think it's time for a purpose built car. I'm starting to run some national events this year and KNOW that a 3600lb cobra isn't going to cut it.

Here's what I need:

350+ rwhp/tq across a reasonable rpm band.
As close to 2500lbs as I can get.

Here's what I'm thinking will fit the bill...

Foxbody notchback. 2.3L Turbo. 8.8" solid rear swap. Big Brakes. 3 link rear. Coilovers all around. Subframes and possibly a cage for additional rigidity if weight allows(harness and camera mounts at a minimum), the biggest tires i can fit under it.

Obviously, this car will be lightened as much as permitted under the rules (no a/c, no stereo, manual locks/windows, etc).

How close do you think I can get to 2500lbs?

Dave (forcefed), you're the 2.3 turbo man. How's the powerband in the 4cyl's look in that range? How far can they bored/stroked out to?
Old 02-11-2003, 12:49 PM
OUCH!!!

800 on the bottom end isn't going to be an issue. if I do this, i'm building it to do it right. Nationals are a whole different world. Even stock cars are build to take advantage of every nuance in the rule book.

I think 2500 is probably doable with some careful choices. I've got to maintain a full interior, but am allowed to ditch the back seat (and associated seat belts and such). K-members are currently prohibited, but I can do any control arm I want, so i can save some weight there.
This car should come out to be a monster. We're talking fender flares and 335?(maybe) rear tires.

Just out of curiosity, what would be required to get up around 450 rwhp? 350-450 is really the sweet spot. Anything past that becomes pretty difficult to drive consistantly in an autox type scenario.

Oh, and any idea how the lag is on a setup like that?

Last edited by Leonard; 02-11-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Vertically Challenged

Good luck with whatever you decide too do.

Affordable Web Design, Graphics Design, SEO, and Internet Marketing. chris@splashmediaflorida.com
Old 02-11-2003, 01:52 PM
boostmonkey

I had been daydreaming a bit on a project like Leonard has discribed as well. What would you estimate the total cost of a nicely built/upgraded motor w/turbo and intercooler with a mild ECU tuning method would run. Fox 4cyl coupes can be found for 400-700 bucks all day long...