Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

connecting rod ???'s

Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Still CREEPIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default connecting rod ???'s

1. when ur TQ'n the connecting rods ur goin in 2 steps, 10lbs-24lbs correct??

2. TQ them from the inside out(middle of crank to outside of crank)? or as u connect them to the crank u TQ them?

had a 2 day issue on jokers car with a "tapping" sound. it was almost like 1 or more of the lifters were trashed. we replaced them with my new roller lifters and then the car started knocking like crazy. the whole bottom end is practically brand new, the pump was holding good pressure at an idle(30lbs) and it was sounding good. wat could have caused this??

TurboRAM Member #5
24psi & Stable
GET SOME

Old 04-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Bondsman

Did you mic everything? What were the clearences? Who done the machine work on it Jeff or did you just put another crank in it and prayed for the best?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Still CREEPIN

machine work was done by an older gentleman whose been in the business for about 30 something odd years. everything looked good, i didnt mic shit cuz its a stock rebuild, nothing huge, or oversized. everythings STD in it.

i had to rev it a lil bit when it first started to keep it goin, im thinkin that couldve caused some of the problem. but we shall see in the next few days. i think im gonna put a new set of rod bearings in it, make sure the mains are clean and not grooved and anything, and ride it out. just been frustratin cuz its one thing after another, shit rolls down hill i guess.

TurboRAM Member #5
24psi & Stable
GET SOME

Old 04-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Is workin on his car

The connecting rod torque calls for 26 to 32 NM which will be about 19 lft lbs to 23 ft lbs but it doesnt say it needs to be done in steps. But it wouldnt hurt as long as you end up between those 2 numbers when finished.

Dont worry about working from the middle and working out, it doesnt matter on connecting rods. Just start with cylinder one and work you way back.

As for the knocking there are alot of things that could be wrong, hard to say without looking at it.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Still CREEPIN

yea, im thinkin maybe one of the bearings spun on the rods. jokers just giving up on the car though.

TurboRAM Member #5
24psi & Stable
GET SOME

Old 04-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Blasphemer

Ah c'mon now. He cant be giving up on the car. Shit happens all the time. It just comes with working on a car. Its the nature of the beast. Slap him a couple of times until he gets smart about it.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Still CREEPIN

i been trying, keep telling him it comes wit the territory. but idk whats goin on with him. he's probably ona drinkin binge now, i havnt heard from him at all since saturday

TurboRAM Member #5
24psi & Stable
GET SOME

Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 AM
THROTTLE STEER

Originally Posted by Stealth Mode
i been trying, keep telling him it comes wit the territory. but idk whats goin on with him. he's probably ona drinkin binge now, i havnt heard from him at all since saturday
hunt him down and skull drag him back to the car>>>>>>>>
Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Blasphemer

Well, like I said in an earlier post Im free on weekends and I can come give you guys a hand.

Im with tzilla though. Drag him back to the car through whatever force necessary.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Still CREEPIN

yea, thats wat im thinkin. i can see why he's pissed though. but like i told him, ur not the only one man, im pissed too cuz i have well over 100 hours of time into this engine. but shit happens. he will come back around, if not i have his car!!! lol

TurboRAM Member #5
24psi & Stable
GET SOME