Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Modular in a Fox

Old 11-09-2004, 04:23 PM
drives euro trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modular in a Fox

I've been pretty gung-ho about going with a 4v in the coupe....that is until today when I started pricing out the swap. To get it all done properly with a bone stock aluminum 4v motor I'm looking at around $4-5k (inflated a bit for unknown expenses).

320hp for that price is outrageous. The same could be had out of a 302 for well under half that. So now I'm kind of leaning towards the 302 since I don't want to turn this into a 3-year project.

Besides the obvious weight savings and "cool factor" of putting the 4v aluminum motor in the Fox, what other advantages does it have over a carburated pushrod?

If I wanted to stick with the modular, I know I could probably put together a Lincoln cast iron 4v motor for much cheaper (there is a practically complete motor sitting down in Bradenton). What is the weight difference between the cast iron 4v and a 302? Did the Lincoln motor have iron or aluminum heads?

Trying to gather as much info as possible. Money is a HUGE player in getting this project done. This isn't saying I'm going to rig the car together cheaply, I just want the best bang for my buck to reach my 1-year completion goal.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:29 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

5.0 is cheap, proven power.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:33 PM
refinish artist

The drivability with the 4v would be alot nicer imo.But they've been trying to beat the 5.0 "bang for your buck" for years and can't do it.I think the Lincon 4v would do just as good,you'll just have to take the weight out other ways.

RIP Chester P.Anderson Jr.9/23/05 I love you dad,and miss you very much.

RIP Kevin"Slo SI" 9/13/06,we will miss you homie,time heals wounds but you will never be forgotten
Old 11-09-2004, 04:45 PM
i eat hamburgers

Originally posted by shinysideup
5.0 is cheap, proven power.
go with what you know.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:05 PM
OUCH!!!

A smallblock windsor is going to be lighter than a 4v anyway.

Have you considered going with a 3v?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:09 PM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by Leonard
Have you considered going with a 3v?
Not really. The cost for one of those would be equal to or greater than the aluminum 4v.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
finally painted the car!

Im telling you, if you can find a donor car (insurance companys might be able to help) you can get the drivetrain and the interior, if you get a 96+ 4V Cobra. The Mark 8 motor is almost the same as the Cobra motor besides the different cams if Im not mistakes. Yes, you can do a 5.0 for about half the price, but how many 5.0 swaps do you hear of? How many Modular Fox swaps do you hear of? Which would you prefer? Which has more of a badass factor?
My swap took about a year, from the time I bought the motor/tranny to getting it started. I wanted to do this swap for quite sometime, just had to come across a good deal on the drive train. Call around and see what you can find as far as a donor car goes (if thats what you want). People have put SN95 interior in their fox aswell. Look/search on the link I sent you. Im sure youll find what your looking for. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:52 PM
finally painted the car!

Originally posted by Mars_302
Find a lincoln mark VIII, those can be had for around $4k themselves in nice condition, take the motor and harness, sell the rest
A 96+ Cobra intake has to be used with the Mark VIII motor because the intake faces the drivers side instead of the passenger side.