Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Dunlop tires made in Japan?!

Old 04-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dunlop tires made in Japan?!

So I ordered myself some replacement Dunlops for the Harley since my front tire is as bald as a peeled onion and my back tire has a big hole in it from a nail. Well, the Dunlops I have on there now boast on the sidewall, "Made in USA," which I like on my domestic bike, and which is why I decided to purchase Dunlops again. Well, I got my Dunlops in the mail this week, and while checking them out noticed on the sidewall, "Made in Japan by Sumitoma Rubber." Fuckers, I'm pissed! The only reason I went for Dunlops over Avon or Metzeler is that they're American-made tires, and I got some Japanese Sumitoma shit. I totally sent Dunlop an email about it. Next time, I'm buying Michelins.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:03 AM

should have bought michelins in the first place... actually i take that back, michelins are french.... wait are we still boycotting the french?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:56 AM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

you really paid money for a crappy tire over a good tire because it said made in the USA on it?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Custom User Title

Outsourcing strikes again!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ???
you really paid money for a crappy tire over a good tire because it said made in the USA on it?
Define crappy tire? Any tire I stick on the Harley is going to ride in a straight line at 55mph just fine. The Dunlops I have now lasted 20+k miles, so I don't see how the qualify as crappy? I had no problems with my Dunlops, never lost traction, and never took a shit in a turn. Plus, why not support an American company vs. a foreign company if given the chance. I don't live in Japan, so I don't really care about their economy.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MianoSM
Outsourcing strikes again!
Exactly. I emailed Dunlop about it. Let's see what they say if they reply.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:02 AM

I'd be interested in their reply. When I can I usually go for American made products as well, but if a European product is on the market and I can afford it, I usually opt for European products as niether American nor Japanese companies can touch the quality of products rolling out of Europe.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned

C'mon man, you can't lead me to believe that Europe makes the best everything. We've got better whiskey! Oh, we also have better dental supplies

Affording the tires is not the point though, they're just bike tires, I could've bought any tire on the market. I chose Dunlop because they're an American company, and I got Sumitomo tires or some shit.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Banned

Looks like I'm going with Avon tires next time. Avon is a subsidiary of Cooper Tire, who is based out of Ohio. According to their website, all but 1 of their plants are in the US, the other being in England. I can let a British-made tire ride, especially if the profits are coming back to the US anyway. From what I've read on other bike forums, Dunlop is now in cahoots with Sumitomo Rubber Inc., so it's hit or miss on getting a USA vs. Japanese tire. How weak is that?