Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

RallyFlorida.org rally-x - July 23, 2011. Who's going?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkBuddha
... the back half of the course was f'ing miserably muddy and slick in the morning. It was actually very annoying... front half was pretty good, but then it was like hitting a sheet of ice the moment I'd make the turn into the back half.
Sorry I missed it, was putting my mustang back together all weekend.

You know you hear the term slick as ice a lot, 98 percent of my driving has been in Florida, so before I did that wet mud thing there in Palm Beach I had no real clue. Soon as you hit that stuff, on street tires anyway, you are like you are free falling from the sky! I remember CRAWLING through those sections SOOO SLOW it was crazy. Talk about your levels of grip! The four wheel guys on rally tires didn't have any problems though.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered User gone bad

Yep... here's a vid of my 2nd run of the day, before it dried out a bit and they rearranged the course for the afternoon: ‪scca rally-x @ PBIR 072311‬‏ - YouTube .

Just watch as I hit the stuff and then basically come to a stop... I could blame the low profile, summer-only 17" tires, or that the car builds boost too suddenly, or that I was running too much boost, but really, I did a pretty crappy job of maintaining momentum through that muck.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:42 AM

Oh my GOD! I know it's still fun but those slippy spots can just drain you. You are practically stopped for a bit there and that is in daylight! Those damn barrels too, you don't want to be running around fixing cones but the barrels really make you so cautious.