Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

11-7-10 Fall Rallycross Registration now open.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Registered User gone bad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally have very little rally experience... I've helped folks with their cars, spectated one day at one, and hung around with a bunch of semi-notorious rally pervs. But that's it... and that's kinda my point: damn'd if I'm gonna just give up on the idea because it's not easy. I'm still relatively new to Sarasota having only moved here last summer, so I'm still getting to know my way around, but if I'll ask around to some of the folks I've met about routes that would be fun, safe, and reasonably secure.

We'll get this going one way or another.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 AM
ESWAT Imperator

I'm willing to assist during an event though I'm unfamiliar with this format. I do autocross though.

I don't want to ruin my brand new NT-05s racing on the dirt. If they were some all seasons, wouldn't really care. I'm looking at getting a set of cheapo XXR 522 wheels and some cheap tires for daily driving and something like this.

Do you post these events in other forums (nasioc, iwsti, rs25, evom, etc)?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:30 AM

Jeff does post events on multiple sites. I know the rally Florida folks have the event on their site.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:52 AM
Tampa Tuner

i think the TampaTuning guys were going to be there
Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 AM
legend behind the cowl

Event Formats.

Rallycross> autocross on dirt, tarmac, or mixed surfaces. scored cumulative. Rules are not as strict as auto-cross.

TSD, Road Rally> Driver and Navagator, against the clock and the Rallymaster. this is often the first step to performance rallies. as it helps the team learn how to read "notes" and communicate at a semi legal and safe(er) speed.

Time Trial/Performance Rally. A speed competition, where each team is given an equal set of notes. I believe in the "American" style of rally where the pace notes are not provided to the team prior to the start of the event. and no reconnaissance is allowed.

A good road rally can be of several styles. the one I have not done yet is the "find your own route" but once the route is determined we can taylor the rules and generals to what suits the event "feel" best.

Here is a good site from a long time rallyer it might not all make sense to the novice, but keep in mind once you learn this stuff it becomes addictive. Road rally navigation
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Registered User gone bad

Originally Posted by treekiller
Time Trial/Performance Rally. A speed competition, where each team is given an equal set of notes. I believe in the "American" style of rally where the pace notes are not provided to the team prior to the start of the event. and no reconnaissance is allowed.
The whole issue of notes depends on the sanctioning body and rally organizers. For example, I think RA provides notes at a cost (though this may have changed), where some regional rallies allow teams to recon and make their own notes, which can be tricky business. A fellow XR owner & friend of mine (and his co-driver wife) recon'd their own notes on one of the stages of the Mt. Hood Rally and ended up writing 6 miles worth of notes that were off-course because the course wasn't marked adequately prior to the recon time. Lost a bunch of time on that stage.

BTW, just a gratuitous rally pic of his car just for kicks:

Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered User gone bad

BTW, I posted this event to RallyAnarchy.com and to FloridaGerman.com... hopefully it will generate some more interest.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by DarkBuddha
BTW, I posted this event to RallyAnarchy.com and to FloridaGerman.com... hopefully it will generate some more interest.
I forgot about rally anarchy. Thanks for posting that.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered User gone bad

No problem... John V is a friend, so Rally Anarchy has always been my primary rally forum.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:38 PM

That John V. He's an interesting guy.