Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Sebring Saturday SAFEMotorsports.com

Old 09-17-2007, 04:56 PM
legend behind the cowl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
2:40's sounds more like it.

Jeff, congrats on the 2:45! I believe that is my best in your car, as well... makes you wonder how much is left in it that we're not finding, doesn't it?
I don't know, we couldn't find more time using r-comps, I think it's going to take a major change to see much more, to be honest more power seems to be the logical step. Since I can catch almost anything in the corners but can't pass once there is a straight. The megasquirt should yeild another 20 or so hp, and ebay turbo mabye 300 total. That has to be the missing 10 or so seconds
Old 09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Turn 7 at Sebring

I gained most of my time by getting my brakes straight and having the alignment spot on.

Before the last event at Sebring I switched to an all aluminum coilover and had the car aligned while I stood there and directed the tech.
Also, a good friend of mine, Ivan at CFP, took the time to make brake ducts for my front calipers. It made a world of difference as the brakes were rock solid all day.

I was down on hp from the event before this last one and still ran 6 seconds faster.

Last edited by RoadRacer; 09-17-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM

Jeff's Sentra has kick-ass brakes, but I bet there's a few seconds out there we could gain by making better use of them. I'm a notoriously early braker.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:11 PM
legend behind the cowl

Yes the brakes are more gooder I was paying extra attention this week, even on the autozone pads, I was starting my braking 10 feet later then the 911 porsches, I know I am loosing 5 seconds on turn 17. I'll be honest it still intimidates me it's just 1/2 of a flat track oval. So it's not the walls that unsettle me it's not being able to look through the turn.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 AM
Lucky

Here we are.

front:
camber - -1.0 to -1.2 deg
toe - 1/16" in
caster - 6-7 deg

rear:
camber - -0.5 to -1.0 deg
toe - 0 to 1/16" in
thrust angle: zero
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Turn 7 at Sebring

Have you tried running more neg camber up front?
R compound tired usually like a lot of neg camber.

For reference here are my specs
front
Camber -4.5
toe 1/16" out
caster + 6

Rear
camber -2.5 deg
toe 1/16" in
caster 0

I am just sharing, not trying to say my set-up is better or anything like that.

Originally Posted by RX007CYM
Here we are.

front:
camber - -1.0 to -1.2 deg
toe - 1/16" in
caster - 6-7 deg

rear:
camber - -0.5 to -1.0 deg
toe - 0 to 1/16" in
thrust angle: zero

Last edited by RoadRacer; 09-18-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 AM

I'd agree. Even if the car is driven on the street, you can get away with a lot closer to 2 degrees of camber without issue. Of course, the real way to determine what your camber needs are is with a pyrometer.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Lucky

Honestly, this is the first time the car will be aligned in several years (Dropping the car off tonight). These specs are simply the recommendations of people with 3rd gen rx7's and 18inch wheels who run long tracks. The car is rarely street driven, so I could care less about tire wear. More opinions? Thanks

* Edit - I just went through several more sets of alignment specs from other drivers and no one comes close to 2 degrees camber (closest was -1.5)
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...

Last edited by RX007CYM; 09-18-2007 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Dug up some more info
Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 AM

Could be a limitation of the suspension design. Or it could be a "feature" of the design, perhaps it doesn't require as much static camber?

Run with it. See how it feels, maybe borrow a pyrometer and take some tire temps.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Lucky

Will do. As I am a noob, I measure inside/outside/middle tread of each tire after several spirited laps? Thanks again.