Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Sunriders Event (10/15) : Humiliation is a great motivator...

Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunriders Event (10/15) : Humiliation is a great motivator...

With work, the new house, and my new hobby (beer brewing), my auto-x attendance has been pathetic this year. Hell, I think I've been to maybe two auto-x events in the whole year? Ughh...so I headed out to the Sunriders event this past Saturday to right my wrongs and put some wear on my tires. The course layout was great, and the designer really made a great effort to use all the real-estate that was available to him/her. There was a nice slalom section and some fun sweepers to play around in. Better yet, we were able to get in about seven runs apiece, with the average lap time being about 48seconds. This is probably the absolute best aspect of Sunriders courses when compared to other offerings (SCCA) as it helps take the pressure off turning a quick time in just three tries.

When it came time for me to run though, all hell broke loose. I hit a cone my first run out and had to exit the course to avoid a worker. On my way out, with plenty of people yelling warnings, I ran over the timing wire. Fantastic. Second run out I somehow miss a gate constructed of four waste-high cones and proceed to finish a course that I make up on my own, on the spot. DNF. Third run out I realize my past mistake and concentrate on the gate I missed. Somehow my brain ceases to work and I take the gate on the wrong side and am, again, making up my own course route. DNF. By this time I'm fuckin' embarrassed and do a ride along with another guy to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong. The ultimate embarrassment comes on my fourth run when I'm required to have an instructor, Loren, ride with me. With humiliation spurring me on, I somehow manage to finish with a clean run. Not a great run but the fact that it's not a DNF made my friggin' day. After that my times steadily picked up and I was doing decently again. I've gotta say though, I don't think I've ever been so motivated. Being that embarrassed really kicks any skill you have into high gear.

Embarrassment aside though, I've gotta say that having Loren ride along really helped. Not as a navigator, I'd already figured the course out from the prior ride-along, but as an instructor. He pointed out an error I've been making, I guess for the past five years, in my slalom runs by turning in too late. Changing this bad habit resulted in one hell of a smoother run and a definite decrease in my times. This past weekend made me realize I've still got a ton to learn and that an instructor ride along ain't such a bad thing.

Last edited by Bill; 10-17-2005 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 AM
The Fat Cobra

If it makes you feel any better, many of us were lamenting the fact that you finally found your way around the course.
I had a blast drifting my Mazdaspeed around some of those tight corners. I think I managed to beat a few STIs this time, last time all the STIs beat me.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 AM

Yeah, I was pissed. Show the guy the course, give him a couple tips and he's turning FTD 10 minutes later! Fortunately, his FTD didn't stick.

Chad should have the results up tonight, but from talking to him, I think it's possibly that the top runners at this event were Howard Sharf (CSP CRX, also the event chairman and course designer), me and Muddy. Chad thinks his best was a 41.5, which puts him a blink behind me and Muddy. And he couldn't remember anyone else who was in the hunt, though there were a few more in the 41's.

And I'll say that close competition is a good motivator. Muddy & I were rallying off of each other a tenth at a time, it was great!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Originally Posted by Loren
Yeah, I was pissed. Show the guy the course, give him a couple tips and he's turning FTD 10 minutes later! Fortunately, his FTD didn't stick.

Chad should have the results up tonight, but from talking to him, I think it's possibly that the top runners at this event were Howard Sharf (CSP CRX, also the event chairman and course designer), me and Muddy. Chad thinks his best was a 41.5, which puts him a blink behind me and Muddy. And he couldn't remember anyone else who was in the hunt, though there were a few more in the 41's.

And I'll say that close competition is a good motivator. Muddy & I were rallying off of each other a tenth at a time, it was great!
The FTD was stickin' until Howard brutally beat it down with his CRX.

Ya, I wish me and Chad could have run at the same time. It was hell sitting there and watching each run, wondering if he was going to beat my time or not. Sadly a little red Miata came rolling by at the end and edged me out. Bastard. You should have given me more tips.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:33 PM

Results are up. Pretty amazing how close 2nd through 4th (and even 5th) were.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:33 PM
rv7

Alright guys, its been killing me to know what time I would have posted if I had been smart enough to do a run or two by myself. I was the noob in the blue STi and had my 180 lb friend in the car for every one of my runs. That being said I had a blast. It was nice meeting you guys and I look forward to next months autocross already. I learned a ton on Saturday and next time I won't start with my tire pressure at 42! My best time was a 42.080 so I was about a half a second off the pace of the other STi's. How much of a difference does a passenger really make?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Now with less suck

Originally Posted by rv7
How much of a difference does a passenger really make?
not half a second
Old 10-18-2005, 02:34 AM

In a car as heavy and powerful as an STI, I doubt that a passenger makes much difference at all.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:23 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Originally Posted by Loren
In a car as heavy and powerful as an STI, I doubt that a passenger makes much difference at all.
Ya, it doubt would have much impact.
In my old car I'd strip it down before an auto-x. With the STi though I just leave everything in: spare tire, jack, etc.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:42 AM
The Fat Cobra

I don't bother taking that stuff out, either. It isn't worth the effort, IMO.