Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Sunriders Event (10/15) : Humiliation is a great motivator...

Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles
Great course and good event as usual....... Chad, do you still have that 1 near new RE070 laying around?
Yes I do. Its packed away in the garage with love and care. After trying the Hankooks I wish I had a full set of them again. If your interested in it you can drop me a line at altsutton@tampabay.rr.com

Old 10-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Originally Posted by Boxy Rocket
Yes I do. Its packed away in the garage with love and care. After trying the Hankooks I wish I had a full set of them again. If your interested in it you can drop me a line at altsutton@tampabay.rr.com
Not happy with the Hankooks? When I spoke to you you said you thought them to be comparible (and cheaper). Not diggin' 'em now eh? Any particular reason? Greasy? Sidewall stiffness? Feel? ...
Old 10-25-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bill
Sounds like a plan.

Any planned changes for the next event? I'm probably going to see how far I can spec out the stock alignment.
I took the car to Dan's place. There isn't a whole lot you can do for the alignment without camber plates. They may have gotten me to .7 negitive in the front. Unless you can get an alignment real cheap, a plain alignment alone may not be worth the money.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bill
Not happy with the Hankooks? When I spoke to you you said you thought them to be comparible (and cheaper). Not diggin' 'em now eh? Any particular reason? Greasy? Sidewall stiffness? Feel? ...
At the time I had the Hankooks on about a week. So I just assumed they may still have mold release on them making them greasy and making the turn-in feel a little soggy. Its been several more miles now and not much difference. I'm still playing with pressures to see if I can get them to feel like I want. Although for $90 a tire I guess I shouldn't be complaining ......

Cheap is good.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:30 PM

I agree with Boxy ROcket about the suspension at SPC -very bumpy-!!! Stock suspension is a conservative way to go at SPC, the wheels stay glued to the surface - It is a surface that requires soft bump settings. I have single adjustable dampers...not good. The last event (the enduro-cross)... I was modifying my line to mitigate hopping.

The RE070 are very responsive tires. The sidewalls on those are hard to beat , they give a great feel (better than falkens) and have great traction, fun tire. You are doing good In think to have high pressure in the 'cooks. Next event, we could maybe have somebody try out some tires, it's all for fun at SPC.

-0.7 ??? Wow, that is amazingly not a lot. I was able to get it to -1.2 and -1.5 in stock form.

And yes, I feel a passenger in my car. It's different, the car does not turn as fast. It may be harder to feel in a stock setup. Timewise? Depends on the course, but you have a handicap.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:07 AM

I'll probably participate in the next event. I'm able to register the day-of, right? This would be my second time autocrossing so I don't know anything really.

Do we get to walk the course?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by urn_uuid_owned
Stock suspension is a conservative way to go at SPC, the wheels stay glued to the surface - It is a surface that requires soft bump settings.
Don't get me wrong, I think there are several suspension mods that can be made to help, any car. However so many variables can change when one other thing is changed, it takes a real understanding of suspension dynamics. I don't have a real understanding of suspension dynamics. If I had one of these fully adjustable 'electro-spring-a-nator' suspension systems I would be completely lost. The car would end up in a permanent left hand turn. I screw the car up enough with tire pressures.

I guess my point would be don't be afraid to dial the suspension softer at times if you have a system that allows it. Too many people seem to dial them in real stiff assuming it is better for performance in all cases.

I just need to concentrate on adjusting the loose nut behind the wheel.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Franklin
I'll probably participate in the next event. I'm able to register the day-of, right? This would be my second time autocrossing so I don't know anything really.

Do we get to walk the course?
Yes and Yes.

You can enter the day of the event. We usually cut off entries at 60, but the biggest event this year has been 58. Pre-registeration will be available soon and you can find a link at www.sunridersmotorsports.com when it is ready to go.

Find someone with a car like yours and ask to ride to get a feel before you run. We run in numerical order (for the most part). Ask for a higher number, then you should be able to catch some rides with someone before you run yourself.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:12 PM

Thanks~