Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Sunriders Event (10/15) : Humiliation is a great motivator...

Old 10-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
Results are up. Pretty amazing how close 2nd through 4th (and even 5th) were.
I'm thinking there must have been a tailwind that helped propel you through the finish or something...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:08 AM
rv7

So not much difference at all seeme to be the consensus. I was very pleased with my best time and didn't even think about the whole passenger thing until my friend (the passenger) brought it up once we left. I just figured that my half second difference was due to my inexperience, but then he got my wheels turning about the whole passenger thing. So in the end, it appears that my slower times were in fact due to it being my first autocross. I'm cool with that. Next month though, I want to be in the thick of things time wise. We'll see how that goes though.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:16 AM

Being within half a second of the front runners your first time out is nothing to sneeze at. You did amazingly well. It usually takes most people at least a few months of regular autocrossing to get to the point you are at. (yeah, your car is fast... but it's nothing without a good driver) The bad news is that that last half second is usually hard to reach! The learning curve gets steep there.

You'll have fun with it, though.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by rv7
I learned a ton on Saturday and next time I won't start with my tire pressure at 42! My best time was a 42.080 so I was about a half a second off the pace of the other STi's. How much of a difference does a passenger really make?
I doubt the passenger cost much if any time. Quite often I find my quickest run has been with a passenger. I've seen several STi's out there, and interestingly its the guys with stock suspension that do better in general. Seems like people want to dial in their suspension so stiff that the car is bouncing into the air. I heard that you had some mods, but I don't remember what. As far as tire pressures I started with 40 front and 43 rear. As I ran throught the day I decreased the pressures, and got slower. My second run was a my quickest and then I kept messing the the tire pressures, bringing them down as I was sure it would help. Rule number one while at the autocross, quit messing with the car and just drive. I forgot rule number one.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:44 AM
rv7

As far as mods go, I just have a catback and coilovers. So no real power gain, but arguably better suspension. I decreased my tire pressure every run and by my last one I was at 36/38. My times got better with every run, however I'm sure that some of that was due to me starting to get the hang of it more and more. I know that I still have a ways to go, and I look forward to picking up advice from you more seasoned veterans next time.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:59 AM

Well your runs were fantastic. Hope you are going to be out to the next one. Just remember the goal is all STi in the first five top spots.

4 door sedans will rule the world .........

Old 10-19-2005, 06:40 AM
I Heart 2nd Gear Racing

So in the end, it appears that my slower times were in fact due to it being my first autocross. I'm cool with that. Next month though, I want to be in the thick of things time wise.
OMG, are you kidding! You ARE in the thick of things! You have the seventh best time out of 48 people at your FIRST autocross. If I could get within 5 seconds of FTD at any autocross ever, I'd have an effin' party.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Originally Posted by Boxy Rocket
Well your runs were fantastic. Hope you are going to be out to the next one. Just remember the goal is all STi in the first five top spots.

4 door sedans will rule the world .........
Sounds like a plan.

Any planned changes for the next event? I'm probably going to see how far I can spec out the stock alignment.

rv7: Those are pretty much the pressures I was running, 38fr/36r. Worked pretty well for me.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:44 AM
rv7

Top 5 for the Sti's sounds good to me, but first we have to get 5 STi's to show up. I will be there next month for sure. I met a couple of other STi guys (they have '06's) last week at a little car meet in Brandon. Some of them sounded pretty interested, so hopefully they will show up next month as well. I appreciate your comments Rosko. I was pleased with my times, however the STi is a lot of car compared to many of the other cars there. So some of the credit has to go to the car and I'll only take a little bit.

rv7: Those are pretty much the pressures I was running, 38fr/36r. Worked pretty well for me.
I'll say it worked pretty well for you! I could feel a huge improvement in the car's cornering once I got my pressure down close to where you were.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:04 AM

Great course and good event as usual....... Chad, do you still have that 1 near new RE070 laying around?