Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Spec Miata?

Old 04-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Living the dream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Miata?

I was with my dad today and we were talking about spec miata and how cheap it is. I raced indoor karts as a kid and did pretty damn good (2nd place in a PCA event w/ about 60 adults, some race car drivers) but I didn't continue on, which bothers me to this day. Every time I pick up a GRM it gets my racing blood flowing. My question is, does anyone on here run spec miata? Autocrossing does seem cool, but I would like wheel-to-wheel racing, and this seems like the most low-cost but fun option. Are there many events run throughout the year? And if someone does run spec miata, what is the strartup cost, or cost to be competitive? Any info. is appreciated.

Matt
Old 04-09-2005, 06:08 PM
bad ass fonzie

it's really not THAT cheap.
ideally you should try to find a miata thats already built. thats much cheaper. trust me.
as far as startup, you need to get your license, so you have to do schools, and thats not cheap. and you go through tires like crazy. and you need a trailer and a truck, and etc etc etc.
i'd say my dad has probably spent 30 grand, but he built his own car. thats probably 2 years of off-and-on racing. we're on the fourth motor, second tranny, third fender, and second paint job.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:31 PM

The best way to get your answers is to go directly to the source, which the next good opportunity will be at Daytona on May 7 and 8. There will be many Spec Miata's running in a 90 minute enduro race then. Go to the race and ask the drivers, look at the cars and watch them race.

If you talk nice to the folks at registration, they may let you into the track at no charge or worst case, they will charge you $5.00. Just tell them that you are insterested in joining SCCA and would like to see the races.

Here is the link to the CFR SCCA website.

http://www.cfrscca.org

Here is the link to the schedule for the weekend, info as to where registration is and when registration is open,

http://www.cfrscca.org/forms/DayNatECR0505.pdf

Spec Miata is SM and is in Group 1. Their race is the last event on Saturday. Look for up to 80 cars to race in Group 1.

I'll be there as crew chief for a Toyota Formula Atlantic, car #81.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:55 PM

It's "relatively" inexpensive to go Spec Miata racing IF you buy a complete race car and otherwise cut corners. You'll still have to spend $10-15k per year MINIMUM to get through a full season.

And that's just going to get you on track. Winning is an entirely different matter... that won't come cheap.

This info comes from knowing some racers, both Spec Miata and other classes.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:43 PM
bad ass fonzie

mm-hmm. we'll be at the daytona race.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Living the dream

Originally Posted by Loren
It's "relatively" inexpensive to go Spec Miata racing IF you buy a complete race car and otherwise cut corners. You'll still have to spend $10-15k per year MINIMUM to get through a full season.

And that's just going to get you on track. Winning is an entirely different matter... that won't come cheap.

This info comes from knowing some racers, both Spec Miata and other classes.

Hmmm....do you know how much a reputable shop charges to build a decent racer...like, say, BSI Racing for instance. This is probably all a pipe dream but it doesn't hurt.

Matt
Old 04-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Living the dream

Originally Posted by Loren
You'll still have to spend $10-15k per year MINIMUM to get through a full season.
Hmm don't think I will be running a FULL season, probably just running races here in FL. Are there any other classes that run on real tracks (think Sebring) wheel-to-wheel?

Matt
Old 04-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Living the dream

Hmm...possibly thinking about karting again...would be much cheaper.

Matt