VW/Audi/Porsche Tech This is where all the hot bitches hang out.

GTI 20th AE Question

Old 03-31-2004, 09:13 PM
-?-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha, I was chalking the clutch up to it only being my second stick car I've drove but yeah, very...odd! I drove the 1.8t because I plan on buying one, heard they are the easiest to mod and the most bang for the buck. Plus I've never had a turbo car so :0 Woosh!

As for the different throttle types, no idea. Didn't really get to do much with the car unforanetly due to horrid traffic conditions. Going to get another test drive before I buy one though.

I was really digging the interior, not sure if I want leather seats or not. What do you guys like? Leather can get reallllly hot and reallllly cold in Florida but I've never actually had to experience it on a daily basis. Opinons? The cloth seats weren't bad either, sorta reminded of the S13 seats in the way they are bucketed.

Last edited by karttoon on 13-32-2009 at 25:64 PM
Old 04-01-2004, 05:19 AM
5 Foot Fury

Originally posted by Kyle K
the only thing different between drive by wire and drive by cable is the feel of pedal. Throttle response is no different. FYI

But I agree about all VW/1.8t clutches. Everyone i've driven has sucked. from old school vr6, 24v, 1.8t.. Actually i think the 2.0 clutch on robb's car felt the best
How do you figure throttle response is no different? Pedal feel or not, I can step all the way on the throttle on the 1.8t and get NO response when on the 240 if I did that I'd get too much response. I have no idea how you figure that one.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:24 AM
full color high res

Originally posted by Kyle K
the only thing different between drive by wire and drive by cable is the feel of pedal. Throttle response is no different. FYI

But I agree about all VW/1.8t clutches. Everyone i've driven has sucked. from old school vr6, 24v, 1.8t.. Actually i think the 2.0 clutch on robb's car felt the best
my clutch was cool until i let you drive it and didn't know you liked to downshift and ride the clutch into the parking lot. its all good. but there is a difference between DBW and DBC, thats why the chips in the newer cars always claim "crisper throttle responce" or something a long those lines. thats why there are conversions from wire to cable.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:02 AM
5 Foot Fury

Originally posted by Justan8valve
my clutch was cool until i let you drive it and didn't know you liked to downshift and ride the clutch into the parking lot. its all good. but there is a difference between DBW and DBC, thats why the chips in the newer cars always claim "crisper throttle responce" or something a long those lines. thats why there are conversions from wire to cable.
That's what I'm saying. It's in the pedal, but the whole point of it is to slow throttle response (luxury factor).
Old 04-01-2004, 01:15 PM
-?-

While I was there I asked about what mods would break warranty and she, the sales person, said they have a motor sports division that will do mods and not void the warranty. Anyone used them? What all does that entail really? I was looking at the APR chipping because you can reset it to stock when you bring it in and was curious as to if they would even care then?

Old 04-01-2004, 05:16 PM
5 Foot Fury

APR chip, if the dealership finds it, WILL void your warranty. APR soders them to be hidden, but sometimes dealerships find out. It's rare though.

A VW motorsports division probably has mufflers for sale and that's it! I'm pretty serious, too.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Resident VW enthusiast

with clutches, I think the manual clutch on older VW's are the best. Since I adjusted mine to where I liked it at
Old 04-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi Hi Hi?

be careful with the apr chip. and yes, the "motorsports division" of vw is like floormats and "exhaust tips" lol. if u want to keep your warranty i suggest u wait until its over before u mod.

98 Camry w00t! (daily ride)
91' Eclipse GS-t (she's alive!!)
AOL IM: usfbull49

Originally Posted by Frankie
When a jelly fish comes out of my ass, I'll take pics.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:43 PM
-?-

Okie dokie. Modding can wait Thanks for all the help guys (and gals!) I'll take some pictures when I eventually get around to buying it heh

Old 04-03-2004, 07:02 AM
clever individual

if you havent found one yet, ive seen a few of the special gti's (r32, 20ae) at lindell on.. kennedy i think