The TRuck Forum Trucks, Jeeps, bajeep!

Jeep 2.5L?

Old 06-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Fir Na Tine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep 2.5L?

how does the 2.5L perform offroad..?i was thinking of picking up a wrangler with the 2.5..it would be for daily driving..and for weekend trailing..not really mudding..was thinking of a lift..my ideal jeep would have 4" w/33s..is this too big?or should i go with 2-3" w/31s?will it crap out on me..or will it last..?a lot of people are telling me it wont hold out..and others say it will do good..any opinions would be great..thanks
wicked wheel 2
ebvp mod
s&b
5"magnaflow dump
custom 6position chip
05/07 grille
soon to come- djm 3/5kit, 20s or 22s

2010 Snapper Pro 36" z-turn
Kawi 19hp
45hrs
Old 06-05-2006, 03:02 PM
realer than most

NO tq at all and it will prolly top out at like 55mph...
Old 06-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Fir Na Tine

well there is someone who wants to trade straight up for my truck but it has the 4bangr in it..my ideal would be the 6cyl..but i heard there are minor things that can be done to get power..4.0 TB swap w/TB spacer,intake,cat back exhaust,gears..keep the opinions coming!!
wicked wheel 2
ebvp mod
s&b
5"magnaflow dump
custom 6position chip
05/07 grille

Kawi 19hp
45hrs
Old 06-05-2006, 05:37 PM

Don't let people who have little to no experience with 4banger Jeeps tell you what you "should" do. Having owned both the 6 and 4 cylinder wranglers, I can tell you offroad there is little to no difference. Now on road is a different story. Highway driving is where you'll see the biggest difference. The 4bangers are very lacking in top end as well as any get up and go.....but then again, the way I look at it, it's a Jeep...not a race car.

I have a 4banger TJ with 33's, steel wheels (very heavy), 5" of lift, and stock gears....and although it's slow as christmas....it's bearable. Top speed is around 70mph on flat land. Up hill it's considerably less. Gas mileage is horrible....around 13mpg. I plan on regearing to 4:88's which should add quite a bit of get up and go and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who plans on running larger than 31's. Regearing will by far make the largest difference...other bolt ons offer little improvement.

I take mine offroad quite often and it performs like a champ...has no problem whatsoever keeping up with the 6's. I've taken it up 70 degree inclines and through 4 ft. mud puddles without difficulty. They're easy to work on and parts are readily available. How durable they are really depends on just how much you abuse it and proper maintenence. As a trail vehicle and around town vehicle, I'd say go for it....if you need to commute more than 40 miles each day....I'd think twice. Anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by TBSpyder; 06-05-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Fir Na Tine

so you have no motor mods at all?im thinking a 2-3 lift and 31s/32s so it wouldnt be as bad on gas..gears..some motor mods..how much should i expect to spend on gears?how long do these motors last?just as long as the 4.0?150k+ miles?thanks for the time and all the info bro..im going to check out the jeep...if its clean as he says it is..i just might do it!!!thanks

also..what kind of numbers does the 4.0 put down? 2.5l?thanks
wicked wheel 2
ebvp mod
s&b
5"magnaflow dump
custom 6position chip
05/07 grille

Kawi 19hp
45hrs

Last edited by CRXSiR; 06-05-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 AM

The 6 runs about 190hp, 235tq. The 4banger is about 147hp, 165tq. Gas mileage is near identical on both. Any amount of lift or increase in tire size will have atleast some effect on gas mileage...most stock Wranglerss are lucky to get 20mpg though. Gears, rebuild kit, and install will run you atleast $1k, but is recommended on both 4 and 6 models with 33+ tires. It's liveable without (as I've been doing the past year) but sluggish.

On my Jeep, I have a ram air intake and throttle body spacer....and notice little to no difference. I won't even bother with exhaust, being the only noticable gain you'll see is in sound. I had the cat removed, but replaced it due to even worse gas mileage. If you're buying a Jeep to go fast...it's the wrong vehicle for you. I hear about people with 4bangers and 120-150k+ miles quite often...like I said, it all depends on how much you abuse it and how well you maintain it. Most Jeeps take quite a beating, so with that in mind, I'd say they're pretty dependable.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 AM
realer than most

so your saying i have no experience with 4 banger jeeps?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Fir Na Tine

no its not for going fast..like i was saying my main concern is if it will be able to do all the things i want it to do..like the trailing and an occasional mudding..and the daily drive to and from work..(only 5miles)..yes i do make occasional highway trips..so thats prolly going to suck..lol..so with a 2-3" lift and 31s/32s..i wont need gears?im considering it more now..im going to check it out this week..if its clean..i think i might go ahead and do the trade..i just always looked down on the 4cyl jeep..just thought it couldnt hang..but i had never seen/heard how they performed..thanks for the info TBSpyder..i really appreciate it..
wicked wheel 2
ebvp mod
s&b
5"magnaflow dump
custom 6position chip
05/07 grille

Kawi 19hp
45hrs

Last edited by CRXSiR; 06-06-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
so your saying i have no experience with 4 banger jeeps?

Actually I was referring to when the original poster said "a lot of people are telling me it wont hold out..". But your statement was pretty vague as well.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by CRXSiR
no its not for going fast..like i was saying my main concern is if it will be able to do all the things i want it to do..like the trailing and an occasional mudding..and the daily drive to and from work..(only 5miles)..yes i do make occasional highway trips..so thats prolly going to suck..lol..so with a 2-3" lift and 31s/32s..i wont need gears?im considering it more now..im going to check it out this week..if its clean..i think i might go ahead and do the trade..i just always looked down on the 4cyl jeep..just thought it couldnt hang..but i had never seen/heard how they performed..thanks for the info TBSpyder..i really appreciate it..
I wouldn't worry about not being able to hang offroad, especially down here in FL. The only times I've been stuck or couldn't make it up something down here are when I've faced a loss of traction (ie, deep sand or really loose mud). The short wheelbase, lighter design, high clearance, and 4wheel drive of the Wrangler are more important factors than the 4 vs. 6 argument. I do drive my Jeep all the way to NC from time to time, and although it's not the funnest trip in the world (noise and stability), it is capable. I drive it about 15 miles to and from work everyday as well.

When you go to take a look at it, be sure to test it out in both 4wheel high and low....be sure nothing seems fishy because like I said, people with Wranglers tend to really beat on them. Find out everything that has been replaced or upgraded as well.