Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

1JZ flooding, need help please

Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ flooding, need help please

Hey guys so I'm having my first problem ever with my 1jz and it's a good one. So here's the rundown the car runs like a top not a single problem idles great pulls hard to the limiter etc. Then the CEL comes on and it all goes to hell, won't idle on it's own for the most part, in any gear other than 1st it's dang near impossible to get about 3-4K under heavy acceleration it just starts breaking up and popping sometimes even backfiring. now heres the weird part if I turn off my fuel pump at idle the car idles like normal with the CEL on soon as I flip it back on if I'm not holding the rpm's up it dies. at idle with the light on i'm getting black smoke out of the pipe. Now here's something interesting too sometimes as I'm driving the light will turn off and the car starts driving normal again until it turns back on. Jumped TE1 to E1 on the ECU and the only code I could get was a 21. I'm being told from numerous sources that the o2 sensor on this car doesn't even matter so it wouldn't cause the problem but thats the only code I get. Also it seems this o2 sensor doesn't exist in tampa. I changed the TPS the caps in the ecu are good my coils are all sealed up I guarantee my spark plugs are black as night right now but like I said as soon as the light goes away it runs like a dream again so I don't think they're fouled out yet. Anyone have any ideas or know any 1jz guys locally that might be willing to let me try their ecu or something like that so I can rule out some things because everyone I talk to is at a loss. Or do you think the o2 sensor does more than I'm being told it does?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM

Check the map sensor make sure the vacuum line is ok along with the line going to the fpr make sure its not sitting on something hot and collapsing. But dumping fuel like that and killing the fuel pump makes it run better sounds like a sticking injector imo.. pull the plugs and see which cylinder(s) are being fuel fouled, you will also be able to determine if its isolated to one cylinder or all. Stock o2 sensors usually only makes small adjustments to the fuel trims. The is quite a bit of variables still Check your coolant temp sensor and wiring, i think tsrm or somewhere on supramania has the resistances for it (same as 7m & 2jz).
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM

From what I have read this morning it relly may be your ecu man. Check it again and instead of looking for burned sections look for clear gel from the caps on the board. (btw if you send your ecu to driftmotion make sure to go back over his work and clean the board of all the gel, and make sure none of the soldered connections are touching...)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 PM

pretty sure its the harness I took it to vortex and we looked over everything, the ecu is clean, the vacuum lines are in good shape we seemed to be able get the car to replicate the symptoms by wiggling the harness around so I'm pretty certain it's a loose connection. All the spark plugs were black as night no single one looked clean its flooding the entire system when the CEL comes on.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM

i have a 1jz s13 where u at? maybe we can try my ecu on urs. my ecu is from a jzx/soarer not a supra