Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

4efte

Old 11-26-2005, 11:18 AM
the whistles go whooo!!!1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4efte

Anyone know much about this engine? I know that it can withstand a large amount of boost (~20 psi) on stock internals, and is quite potent when tuned.

The reason I ask is because a long time down the line with my car, I would love to swap this engine in. EL Prototypes has successfully swapped the engine into an xA, and is working on a swap kit to sell to the public. I figure if I can put down 180 whp or so, my car would be quite quick.

So, anyone have experience with these engines?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:13 PM
yea sweet lemonade

not familiar with that engine.. what did it come in in Japan? Paseo?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:51 AM
FWD SUCKS!

I had one in my Paseo back in the day. They can withstand a lot of abuse, but are still limited, I had mine fully built, running on 25psi fully tuned, and still only made 320whp! and my best ET was 12.89. The engine came out of a Toyota Starlet GT. To be honest they are really shitty engines for the mods they have. They are in the same motor family as the Paseo/Tercel(see my turbo kit for sale in my sig, it's a stock turbo setup off a 4efte) If your really looking to do somthing crazy Import a 5efhe(Toyota SERA) it's a High Compression engine, that came with Forged internals. Use the pistons out of the 4efte(low compression) to bring the compression down from 11.5:1 to 8.5:1. The 5efhe also is a 1.5L instead of the 1.3L out of the 4efte. Use the 5efhe head and intake manifold(it has a set of secondary runners, makes more power) also contact . . . . I believe it's called DL customs out of New Zeland. They make a set of wild cams for the 4e/5e series engines. Go on http://starlet.bodykit.co.nz/phpBB2/index.php to find some other essential parts. If you have anymore questions about that engine you can contact me on AIM via myZis2quick4u or onefastpaseo

Originally Posted by boosted_seo
A car isn't fast unless the check engine light is on . . .
Originally Posted by
one_fast_ek: Why is it always the ugly primered hatches are always the fast ones . . . ?
(\___/)
( ='.'= )
(")__(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:34 AM

Awesome,thanks.

Bill, like boosted_seo said, the 4efte was a 1.3 turbo engine found in the Starlet Glanza in Japan. It made around 140 hp.

And boosted. I've heard of guys swapping out the heads and stuff, in Jamaica.

The reason I want to go with the 4efte is becuse it is small, a company is already developing a swap kit for the engine, and it's dirt cheap, and makes decent power with bolt on's and minor boost upgrades. Once I get to the point where I would consider swapping engines, my car should only weigh around 2200 lb's so 180 whp should move me around pretty good. I don't need something super fast with crazy power so I think that the 4efte would suit my bill.

Thanks a ton for all the info and advice !
Old 11-27-2005, 02:53 PM
FWD SUCKS!

np, but if you ever decide to upgrade that 4e, to that hybrid i was talking about. they use the same motor mounts, so it's very easy to do. And when you do get your swap done make sure that they match up the 4e to a EP82 5speed w/ the LSD.

Originally Posted by
one_fast_ek: Why is it always the ugly primered hatches are always the fast ones . . . ?
(\___/)
( ='.'= )
(")__(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:11 PM
FWD SUCKS!

np, but if you ever decide to upgrade that 4e, to that hybrid i was talking about. they use the same motor mounts, so it's very easy to do. And when you do get your swap done make sure that they match up the 4e to a EP82 5speed w/ the LSD.

Originally Posted by
(\___/)
( ='.'= )
Old 11-27-2005, 04:13 PM
yea sweet lemonade

ahh, never got into the starlets and tercels, the smallest toyota's i'm into are the rolla's and mr2's. i take it these engine's are all FWD setup?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Science McGee

You can get 4E-FTE motor/tranny/ecu combos and even clips for under $1300 which isn't that bad. I don't know much about them either, but I think they're neat, especially for what comes out of a 1.3L boosted. I've been playing with the idea of putting it in my kid bro's '88 Tercel DX Wagon. http://back-yard-productions.com out of Miami does quite a few swaps and also sells custom-swap wiring harnesses IIRC.

-Al M.-

Just an easy rider on 4 and by 2...
Old 11-27-2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by hachibill
ahh, never got into the starlets and tercels, the smallest toyota's i'm into are the rolla's and mr2's. i take it these engine's are all FWD setup?
That's right. They came in this neat little machine:

Boosted, does the EP91 not have an LSD?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:55 PM
FWD SUCKS!

Yes they do, but with my experience I seemed to have better luck with the EP82 LSD. IDK, talk to BYP(back yard productions), or contact Tavo on Tercelonline.com. He can get you anything you need.

Originally Posted by
(\___/)
( ='.'= )