Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

project 78pickup done, almost.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default project 78pickup done, almost.

so after 3 weeks, a shitty ebay ordeal including a trip to ocala to kick some kids ass for not shipping my manifold, and dealing with a bunch of shitty vendors (jam engineering and pierce manifolds), its finally done. all that is left is a final drive and tune including a clutch adjustment, and carb sync/tune. ill be using the "english method" tomorrow morning.

here are some pics:

this is how it started.

engine reassembly after rebuild.

this is mock up.

and this is how it runs now. still waiting on some velocity stacks (JAM ENGINEERING sucks), and a header from LC engineering.

finally get to start project ae86 soon. i hope. after that i get to work on the old lady's new toy. maybe a 2zz swap is instore.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:55 AM

Nice job, looks clean. It's nice to see others playing with toyota trucks, check my gallery to see my ride.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:00 AM

where did get your manifold from Ocala? Nice job, love the old toyota trucks. I just came across one the other day in Sanford that was the older model of toy doctors ,Id say around 86-87 that was 4wd and turbo.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:25 AM

toydoctor: ive contemplated the supra swap for a while now. how is it working out for you? id have to pick up another truck and ive got 3 other projects waiting in line right now, but one day im gonna do that swap.

lofer: i bought the mani on ebay, it's a twm 20r mani and the kid that had it was going to put it on a 77 celica, but he bought an mk3 supra so he got rid of it. but he dicked me around for two weeks on shipping it out, which set me back quite a few days. needless to say i was extremely pissed and i ended up driving up there to release a bit of my anger. i still got a good deal on the mani though. was that truck a factory RTE or was it a turboed 22r? thats another one a i want to do one of these days.

this is my second yota truck actually. the last one was an 80 4wd. i did the 22r/20r hybrid, with post 85 block, pre 85 pistons, and 20r head with 38/38 dges. im thinking the thing was pushing 150lbs of torque but that may be a generous guess.

this one i went a little different route. its my daily driver but i wanted the thing to haul ass. so i tore it down. kept the 20r block and had 10 to 1 pistons made by JE. then i called up LC and picked up a rebuild kit(which are really complete by the way), oversize valves, street performer cam, and valve springs to match. i didnt do any porting cause i didnt want to spend the money and i wasnt about to do it myself. the only trip i made to the machine shop was a pressure test on the head casting and i had the block decked a bit. i dont trust any machinists around here anyway. anybody know of a decent one with a flow bench??? the carbs are 47mm SK's with custom 36mm venturi's and the linkage was all pieced together. anyway, gotta get to it. need to drive it to work tomorrow. thanks for the complements.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:38 AM

oh and one more thing. a word of advice if youre going to tear down an old toyota (any model). reground EVERYTHING the factory grounds are adequate at best. the thing was running fine with no starting problems before the rebuild. but when i fired it up yesterday i almost caught the whole damn thing on fire. the alternator was smoking, my throttle cable was glowing, and i had smoke pouring from #2. it must have been finding a path through the old manifold before, which is scary. the whole truck was hot on the first crank yesterday, but now its grounded through both mounts to the body and the frame. scared the shit out of me. you guys probably know all about this, but its a good piece of advice, trust me.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:38 AM

I know that guy real well, His name is Brandon and that celica hes building is way better than the supra he bought. He wants to put a 7m in that car and has been parting out the 22r . Dont get it really, the celica has much better dynamics if you ask me . The truck I saw Im pretty sure wasnt the 22r , but then again thats the first one Ive ever seen in person. Id love to build a 4runner with that engine, or even a truck too . Looks like your gonna a blast with that 78.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:26 PM

When I first installed the 7m, it blew a cometic head gasket right away on the dyno due to a erroded block surface. So I had it bored and I still plan to port the head and balance the bottom end to set it at a firm 400hp. For right now I have a spare motor in the truck running a conservative 0.8 bar which is still good for 300 at the wheels. I'm pretty happy with the swap and now I have to figure out how to reinstall a condensor for A/C. A major negative is fact that the truck still has 22r brakes. I'm still trying to decide on how to upgrade from drums to disks on the rear. Let me know if you ever get tired of carbs and want to convert to FI.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:31 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Excellent project and great restoration! Here's to lasting another 300,000 miles easily

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 06-12-2005, 05:05 PM
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

looks great brent!
Old 06-12-2005, 06:10 PM

its running, idles rough (need smaller idle jets), and i'm still trying to keep the carbs in sync. the linkage needs tweaking, thats for sure. but other than that. its revving way more than it ever did. no tach in these things so ill put a conservative guess at just above 6000rpm which is good for this 2.2 single cam slug. just coming out of third gear at 60mph, so i'm happy. next stop exhaust and final final tuning.