Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

WRX tranny issues

Old 05-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Cock Model

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX tranny issues

Who's had tranny problems on the board? I've been reading alot about the weak tranny and wondering if i should consider a gear set before doing any mods at all. Seems like there's been lots of cases with 2nd gear going even without any mods at all. Kinda scary.
I know how Kyle and the guys at Mastro have been mentioned on numerous occasions as being really straight up with issues like this, associating if the mods really caused the problem or not, but i'm just wondering if this is a normally reoccuring case. Are there people on the board who wish they would have taken that road first, or is it just common knowledge as to how bad the drivetrain setup is for this car and it is normally covered by warranty? I've heard subaru is even getting rid of the 5-speed soon due to all the lawsuits forming and shit.
My car currently has had no tranny problems to date. I don't drive it like i stole it, but it is a sports car and i am boostin just like everybody else. This summer i was going to go with a turboback exhaust, up-pipe, ic hoses, and ecutek.
Write back with your opinions and wisdom.

Billy,
Thanks for puttin up with all my questions the other night as i was droolin on your ride. haha. I was the subie guy that showed up at Bennigans with Dave. Take care of that beast.
-Mike

02 WRX
K&N, ic hoses, up-pipe & turboback
Old 05-26-2003, 06:37 PM

Default ??? Possible issue ???

The only deductions I can make are from what information I can get my hands on. I have read probably more than most on this issue, and can say that yes. A problem does exists, Subaru will not admit it until made to do so by a court of law....read here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=240471 and here http://www.deniedmywarranty.org/index1.html

These are just a couple quick sources that you can read up on! Do a search on the topic and you'll come back with 100's of hits with the same type of info! If you decide to mod your car be sure to keep all your stock parts so if you need to you can place them back on the car before getting it towed to the dealership, if and when something does happen. Be sure to keep you tires well balanced and rotated because this is one of the best indicators of your driving styles! That's all the time I have for now....The best advice I can give you is....save your money and go on vacation!
Old 05-27-2003, 06:03 AM
Rraawwrr!!

The people who have problems with the tranny are the idiots thats do 6500rpm sidesteps. Use your clutch as a fuse, you can get great launches from slipping the clutch. Practice makes perfect.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:14 AM
1337 H4x0r

30k+ hard miles w/ countless soloI, soloII, off road, highway, city, parking lots with ~50hp over factory power and ZERO tranny problems.

I don't launch the car ever maybe a little slip here and there to get going from a stop if I'm really in a hurry.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Blingo!?!

bad reverse synchro from the day I picked up the car, no problems since, the 2nd gear problems are the people who slam it into 2nd hard and just drop the fultch, or powershift into 2nd, it is true its a bit "weaker" for lack of a better word, than other AWD trannys like say the Audi's Quattro tranny which is universally accepted as bullet proof, but I prooved them wrong on that :-/ , treat your car right and she will treat you right

20TenProductions "Born to lose and Destined to fail!"
Old 05-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Captain Catastrophe

where can i pick up a fultch for my car?
Old 05-27-2003, 05:22 PM

Default hey

hey,
I don't have any problems with my tranny, but my clutch shudders like lotsa people. yeh
Old 05-29-2003, 08:57 AM
"color blind kid"

Originally posted by HKSWRX
The people who have problems with the tranny are the idiots thats do 6500rpm sidesteps. Use your clutch as a fuse, you can get great launches from slipping the clutch. Practice makes perfect.
The "idiots" that have problems with trannies don't always dump clutches at 6500... First gear is not usually the gear to go anyways... I blew my 2nd gear pulling out into traffic... was it from all the times I beat on it before, probably. If you don't want it pay for fixing it don't break it. Drive like nothing on the car will be covered because the things that do get covered cost 3 bucks to fix and the things that dont get covered cost 2,000 to fix.

So far my sti gearset has most me 2800 and its about to cost another 500(shift fork and labor). But thats with 500 in sycros and me being to lazy to yank out the tranny again.
Learn how to use the feedback system! When people don't fallow through with a deal, fucking make it known! of course everyone has all positive points, no one fucking gives negatives for flakers, if you start giving negative feedbacks for flaking maybe people on tr will stop making stupid ass posts about wanting to buy shit then not showing up for the shit.