Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Intercooler upgrade (tmic or fmic)

Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 PM
DudeMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkrunk
I don't know about a lot more power, because it depends on how much the tmic is restricting you. Honestly, tmic + meth is amazing for moderate power levels.
Youd pick up probably 30+whp on your setup going fmic

Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Bob

I'm putting down 350 awhp on my EJ20 wrx with a TurboXS topmount. Front mount is cool, and works extremely well, but you can make the same power with an upgraded top mount. The cooling efficiency is almost equal granted the hood opening is large enough, and air flow is consistent. Also, the intercooler pipes travel up the front and across the motor, which is where heat travels, and heats the pipe which the air flows through. So think about all these. If I'm able to make the power on my own tune and a top mount on an EJ20, you definitely can on your car.

Slowboy Racing, Perrin Performance, Cobb Tuning, Invidia, Subaru Tenica International, and eBay !!!

If you need a car stereo install, email me at imsowrxy@gmail.com. I come to you for the install.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 PM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by EclipseGT01
I'm putting down 350 awhp on my EJ20 wrx with a TurboXS topmount. Front mount is cool, and works extremely well, but you can make the same power with an upgraded top mount. The cooling efficiency is almost equal granted the hood opening is large enough, and air flow is consistent. Also, the intercooler pipes travel up the front and across the motor, which is where heat travels, and heats the pipe which the air flows through. So think about all these. If I'm able to make the power on my own tune and a top mount on an EJ20, you definitely can on your car.
None of this is even close to being true... You will not make the same power with a big top mount vs a front mount... The cooling efficiency is no where near the same... Not even close, so re write that. Yes the ic piping go by the motor but umm if you coulnt tell, the tmic sits on top of the motor...

I took someones shitty advice that youre trying to give 5 years ago... Bought that waste of money turbo xs tmic... Finally got a fmic and made a world of a difference

Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Shake n bake

Also, the intercooler pipes travel up the front and across the motor, which is where heat travels, and heats the pipe which the air flows through. So think about all these. If I'm able to make the power on my own tune and a top mount on an EJ20, you definitely can on your car.
LOL. I love reading things like this. Unless the pipe is PHYSICALLY touching the engine block or turbo, the rate of heat transfer is so low that it will NOT affect the charge going into the intake manifold. Your aluminum intake manifold will soak a lot more heat than the cold side piping.

I'm putting down 350 awhp on my EJ20 wrx with a TurboXS topmount. Front mount is cool, and works extremely well, but you can make the same power with an upgraded top mount. The cooling efficiency is almost equal granted the hood opening is large enough, and air flow is consistent.
REALLY? Go measure the size of the opening on your hood scoop, then measure the opening on your front bumper. Tell me which one has the largest square foot opening.

The core you are using to cool the charge of air is sitting DIRECTLY over your motor and transmission. If you didn't know, heat RISES, even if you're driving 50mph, you're going to still have heat RISING from your motor.

BTW, enjoy your heat soak and if you tell me you don't have heat soak, you're lying because I've been there, I know what heat soak feels like and I will never switch back to top mount after going front mount.

Oh and before I see anymore "lag" or throttle response reduction from a front mount replies, you need to start looking at PROPERLY setup front mounts. My setup had ZERO change in throttle response and I have yet to see any lag vs. the top mount on my stock Legacy GT turbo.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 AM
TampaBayTunedPerformance

"if" you did make that power, it was on a dyno with the hood open and fans blowing and cool down between pulls. Front mount requires none of this, it is made for the real world power. and pop your hood and look at what is directly to the left of your top mount, its the hot side of your turbo that gets to 1500 deg under boost. huh wonder if that heats up that intercooler. Top mount is sitting on a hot engine near an extremely hot turbo with a small hood opening that only gets air when your moving, front mount dissapates heat at all times.
I will say it again, if you want to make 200hp and have heat soak issues top mount is awesome at that. if you want to go fast and win races switch to front mount. up to you, you can listen to forum queens or listen to track proven advise.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 AM
10 graphix= 500hp

FMIC>TMIC hands down. But it depends on what power levels that it affects your car drastically. I still beg to differ that at these power levels fmic would make that big of a change given that I am running 100% meth. We'll see my setup should be done this week and doug will be tuning my car at the beginning of next month.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:11 PM
DudeMan

Heres an example, different car but still shows you... My friend srt4 picked up 30whp on the dyno from upgrading his stock fmic to an aftermarket one.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM
TampaBayTunedPerformance

FMIC>TMIC hands down. But it depends on what power levels that it affects your car drastically. I still beg to differ that at these power levels fmic would make that big of a change given that I am running 100% meth. We'll see my setup should be done this week and doug will be tuning my car at the beginning of next month.
There is no debate, when u switch, and it will happen cause you will eventuall see the light you wil realize the power difference. With the price of scrap aluminum I would scrap that top mount garbage and get a Front mount. 100% meth has no effect on what's better. The meth cools the pipe, but with top mount the temp goes from 200deg to 150. On front mount it goes from 150deg to 100. Fmic is better at any power level. Just cause you got suckered into buying top mount don't try to justify it. When ur ready to switch let me know.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:29 PM
10 graphix= 500hp

At my power levels won't be that big of a diff. I didn't get suckered into buying a top mount I chose this path for a reason. It's okay I'll still pull the numbers I want with my setup. I'm just saying switching to fmic makes a huge difference when you are going for big power at my power levels I won't gain more than 10-20whp and thats pushing it.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM
DudeMan

At my power levels won't be that big of a diff. I didn't get suckered into buying a top mount I chose this path for a reason. It's okay I'll still pull the numbers I want with my setup. I'm just saying switching to fmic makes a huge difference when you are going for big power at my power levels I won't gain more than 10-20whp and thats pushing it.
I bet youd pick up at least 20 whp... But youre ignorant and think you know everything, so were wrong even though cars are our jobs....

Quick Reply: Intercooler upgrade (tmic or fmic)