Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Perrin 3582R

Old 12-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every body has there own method of a engine break in period. I don’t believe in a 500 mile break in or a 1000 mile break in. You do realize that engine rings set in the first 5 min of running. We have taking our black S2000 after a fresh engine build and strapped it down and twisted up 10k and made 580 to the wheels. That was almost 2 years ago and the engine runs very well.

Lord knows we all have test driven a brand new car from the dealership and beat the living day lights out of it.

Since I didn’t build the engine and Taylor did, it’s his method.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 AM
TR Shop Mod

You can break a motor in on the dyno MUCH faster than the street. Even Cosworth has a 1 hour dyno break-in for their $16k long-block. I'll do a proper run-in next Friday and it will be good to go

Siegel
www.forgedperformance.com
770-792-0202

Siegel Racing
404-388-8751
www.siegelracing.com
Driver / Engineer / Tuner / Instructor
Old 12-05-2009, 08:18 AM

why take the risk after you just spent x amount of dollars on the engine build, it cant harm it to take it to 1k will it? as for chrome rings they do ask for 1k mile brake in

Stock motors are built differently than forged motor, come on now how can you compare a stock motor to a built forged motor??? and if I rember correctly they do have a first thousand mile break in they tell you not to take it on long trips and not to keep the rpms at a constant for long period time but people just dont listen.

Last edited by fitbikeco; 12-05-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by fitbikeco
why take the risk after you just spent x amount of dollars on the engine build, it cant harm it to take it to 1k will it? as for chrome rings they do ask for 1k mile brake in

Stock motors are built differently than forged motor, come on now how can you compare a stock motor to a built forged motor??? and if I rember correctly they do have a first thousand mile break in they tell you not to take it on long trips and not to keep the rpms at a constant for long period time but people just dont listen.
So every Shelby that comes out of the factory is a fully built engine with aftermarket parts needs a break in? Trust me they don't. In fact we slap a big ass Kenne Bell 2.8 and crank out 715 to the wheels on 22 lbs of boost.

What about the New ZR-1 right out of the box that runs low 10's
What about the new GT-R?

Go ask Dennis Ramsey on all his 6 sec mustangs about engine break in. Every engine Ramsey builds has zero break in. Every car is broke in on the Dyno.

Bottom line is if you have to go back and recheck your work maybe you should have a professional build like Taylor,Drew,Ramsey.

You really don't know what you are talking about and should not be giving out advise on line.

S&R has built many engines that don't have any problem.

Just to prove a point I read a Subaru & Ford Shelby hand book and there is nothing about engine break in.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:59 AM

I get most my advice from drew he tells me be safe with 1k mile brakin i guess he doesnt know what he is talking about.... eveyone knows what kind power my last car made I built. I dont need to come and brag but I see that you do maybe you feel you need to prove your self to the people for them to come to your shop.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 AM

Did you read my post, I said "everybody has there own method". I didn't say Drew or anybody else has a bad method did I?

If you look at my TR account you will find I don't make a lot of Post on TR. You can read all my post and you will find I am a very Humble person.

Have you took the time and read this thread? You are the one who is trying to prove a point and looking like an ass in the process.

Why don't you go find out for yourself on what the time frame is on engine break in is.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:55 PM

I am free to voice my opinion am I or am I not? Just because you dont agree with my engine break-in theory doesnt mean every body else doesnt. As for being a HUMBLE shop owner or what not, you really try put us little people like myself down to make you look bigger but hey I dont expect anything less from a shop like this
If you wanted do the right thing you would keep your self busy with shop related work and not forum related.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 AM
400hp club, barely

I've never seen S&R not busy.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 AM

Did anybody say you couldn’t voice your opinion?

You have made mutable attacks against S&R Performance and I have stand by and watched.
I never belittle a customer online or in person. You need to get your facts straight.

Your engine break in theory, what basis do you derive your theory from?
Have you done the research?
Have built an engine before?

I simply asked you to do some research, and that’s not putting someone down.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by fitbikeco
I am free to voice my opinion am I or am I not? Just because you dont agree with my engine break-in theory doesnt mean every body else doesnt. As for being a HUMBLE shop owner or what not, you really try put us little people like myself down to make you look bigger but hey I dont expect anything less from a shop like this
If you wanted do the right thing you would keep your self busy with shop related work and not forum related.
I have been reading post for awhile and feel free to voice my opinion. I don't post a lot but read a lot.

Everyone does have their opinion and is free to post. A lot of people post hearsay and it is often wrong or misquoted. The problem is people read these post and believe it to be true without discussing it with professionals or studying it for themselves. Information is great but misinformation can hurt.

I wish everyone would believe about 10% of what they read on post and learn the rest for themselves.

You can break in an engine anyway you want and the older cars needed a lot of break in. The dealers recommend a long break in because all the metal is new and they don't want people hammering on the cars period, let alone right after they buy it. Most aftermarket motors are rebuilds with the motor seasoned already. The new rings and pistons seat very quickly. The metallurgy and tolerances are much better on today's motors. I have over 33 years of working on cars and going through ASE certified courses and I have seen many changes to engine building. The old manufacture's standard is not always true. I agree that break in wouldn't hurt but may not be as necessary as people think. Scott Siegel is absolutely right, with the dyno runs for streetablity done on this car before high horsepower runs, motors break in quickly.

Everything on this motor was cryogenically tempered which is like putting a lot of miles on a car or the dyno so 1k miles is not needed. I believe this motor will be insane and will last a long time.

S&R Performance builds great motors and takes care of their customers and I'm sure this customer will be happy.

This is my 10% so pick the 10% you like.

Last edited by schargd; 12-08-2009 at 07:35 AM.