Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Low cost mod successful....

Old 12-28-2007, 04:36 PM
How's the view back there

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low cost mod successful....

Well I finally got some time off work and my mind has just been wondering so today I decided I would port and polish my throttle body and intercooler Y pipe. It took a while to do it but in the end I must say it was worth it. The pedal feels alot more responsive and it just feels smoother now. I would highly recommend it. Cost me all of 20 bucks for grinding wheels, plus a dremmel which I already had.

Has anyone else tried this?

Last edited by EarTears; 12-28-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Good to hear, been looking for a reason to use my dremmel. Any write up you followed or can provide?
Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 PM
How's the view back there

I followed this write up which is excellent!
How to or How I... Ported and Polished the Throttle Body and Intercooler Y Pipe - IWSTI.com: Subaru STI Forums

I would read the whole thread to get all the info possible. This mod has inspired me to PnP all kinds of stuff on my car. If you have the tools it is not hard at all (a dremmel at Home Depot for like 50 to 70 bucks). Check out GrimmSpeed for some ideas on what to PnP and look at what they charge. You can do it yourself for very cheap. This is not hard at all and just use common sense while grinding and you cannot mess this up. I have never PnP'd anything and this was extremely easy. The hardest part was getting the parts off my car and putting them back on. I think tomorrow I am going to do my exhaust manifold.

Also, you need to remove the intercooler which is not hard at all either. I dont have a write up for it but just look at it and there isnt much to it. All you need is a 12mm, 10mm socket and wratchet/w extension, flat head screw driver, and a pair of pliers (to get this one clamp off which is a PITA to get back on.. maybe STI only). I ended up using a regular hose clamp and ditching the stock clamp since I couldn't get it back on the way it came. It's the back hose with the clamp you need to squeeze together and slide it up the hose on the intercooler. You'll know when you get to it.

This guy said he did it in like 4 hours from start to finish. Well I've never done this type of thing before and it took me like 6 hours. I took extra care which as this guy said "REMEMBER: YOU CAN ALWAYS GRIND MORE OFF BUT YOU CANNOT PUT IT BACK ON!!! TAKE YOUR TIME, THIS IS A CHEAP MOD THAT CAN TURN VERY EXSPENSIVE, VERY FAST!!!" A stock Throttle body is between 4-5 Hundred bucks. But dont let that scare you. If you are going to do this mod, start with the intercooler Y pipe and get the hang of it, then do the throttle body. Piece of cake in the end!

Also in case you guys are too lazy to read that whole thread, do not modify the butterfly flapper on the throttle body. It will mess up your idle. DO NOT MODIFY THE THROTTLEBODY AROUND THE FLAPPER OR TO THE FLAPPER. Just grind on the intercooler side of the TB and get rid of the rough transtition. Any modification to the flow of air between the flapper and throttlebody will result in a high idle, which the thread explains.

Last edited by EarTears; 12-28-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 PM
OH LAWD JESUS ITS A FIRE!

Originally Posted by bcs925
Any write up you followed or can provide?
+1.

-Winston Churchill