Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

starting to seriously look at swaps, need help

Old 06-25-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking starting to seriously look at swaps, need help

Yeah i need some help. anybody got a database tucked in their favorite's section of the different engines, their codes, rated hp/tq, pro's, cons, etc

i've been reading alot, specifically of the jdm motors (which i can ironically get cheaper than the usdm versions) and need some help being pointed in the right direction

I'm confused between the ej20g and ej20k engines, any explanations?

What is the general consensus on which 2.0L turbo engine is the best?
I'm kinda stuck on the ej20's because i'm not looking for a max power machine, just something bigger and better than i have that i can reliably build up

I'm expecting to spend 10K(5K on motor and parts, 5K on labor and other shtuff) total on the swap (full drivetrain swap) and have it done at East Coast Swappers unless you all can suggest a reputable alternative.

I'm looking at the ej20g for 1250 plus another 4-500 for tranny, then i've got 2000 bucks to upgrade the internals and bolt-ons and 1000 for oh shit money

so. thoughts? suggestions? if you're not familiar with my situation, i've got a 99 Legacy 2.5GT 4EAT with 160K miles, CAI, full exhaust(SOON), nitrous(SOON), pulley, tuned safc2
(SOON)=1 part on back order
I plan to blow the engine with the nitrous, then go for a swap. going to have my AT looked at, if its in good condition i'll keep it till i destroy it, then replace it unless one of you wants to buy my auto tranny, lol!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 AM

now i'm lookin at the jdm 1996 ver3 sti drivetrain with 5spd

4000 bucks, but man is that tempting. what would i have to do to get the ej20g to perform like this engine? is the block the same? if so i would assume for the 2500 difference I would be able to come up with forged rods and upgraded pistons, turbo, and other supporting mods...

just trying to get some advice before i put toooo much effort into looking at everything. just need to narrow my search down to the best motors so i know what i'm workin with
Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 AM

none of the 40 some odd people that have read this post have any websites that they know of that contains this information? i'm not asking you to do my homework for me, i'm just so lost that i need a place to start.

so far i've learned that the usdm ej22t from the 94 legacy ss was a POS 180hp engine that without some serious modification wouldn't be able to run more than 250chp before i blew it up

but i can't find any ratings on the jdm motors except for very vague ej20t ratings, but i don't know what year or exact engine it is for, and like i said, i'd like to know the diff's between the ej20g and ej20k.

thanks for any and all help
Old 06-26-2007, 02:41 PM

wow. yall suck

j/k seriously, nobody knows a website that has engine specification info for the diff types of subaru engines? damn, when someone does find it, that needs to be made a sticky asap
Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 PM
KAX

check out RS25.com if you havent already. there should be a number of people on there who know the difference between the EJ20g/j/k/5 etc, and all the different versions. Most of the people on there do swaps and a good number of them are JDM.

you just need to think about whether or not you want OBDI or OBDII. Most of the JDM swaps are OBDI. It makes it easier to wire in, but there arent as many things you can do to tune them or access information like datalogging.

not too many people on this forum touch swaps, and for those of us who have, we stuck with USDM. I didnt even know there was such think as an EJ20g until i went to RS25.com.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 PM

lol right on, thanks i will check that out, i've found some pages that were helpfull but some of them contradict the others, such as the ej20g only being an sti engine, while others saying there were diff. versions such as the ej20g found on the jdm ver 1 (94) sti

<shrug> but yes i will check out r25.com, thanks for the help...rep'd
Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 AM

alrighty, so here are the facts
my car is going to die sooner rather than later and i'll need a new car
swapping a new engine is cheaper than buying a new car, so i figure i'll spend a reasonable amount of money and simply put a new engine into this car

I found that I could do that for about half what I had expected it to cost, about 5 thousand dollars for a full wrx drivetrain swap at East Coast Swappers

That was 4100= 3050 (labor-core) + 1250 (engine) and then i would need engine crossmember and tranny.

so then i started doing some actual research, and now that i understand what OBDI/II do for the car, i've decided not to cheap out and go with the ver1 sti drivetrain that i was considering, instead i found a BRAND NEW Version 7 STI motor for 3300 including ecu, but i'd still need a tranny

my question is, should i get an sti 6spd and just call it a day, or should i do something like everyone else seems to be doing and going the PPG route??

My ultimate goals are 350whp. do i need anything beefier than stock 5spd? I don't know about the manual tranny's, i drive an auto...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
I use a Mad scientist

youll need atleast a dogbox if not the sti tranny being the usdm 6spd
Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
KAX

what do you plan to do with the car? thatll decide what you need as far as gearing goes. If you want a drag car, 5 spd. If you want a road racing car, 6 spd. Daily driver with highway runs, 6 spd. Autocross car, doesnt really matter, as youll only be using 2nd gear anyway.

The main difference will be, youll get pretty much the entire drivetrain from the STI for what the PPGs cost. The PPGs will only get you the gearset, and youll still have a weak differential.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:36 PM

yaaay, this is the info i need.

My plans are a Daily Driver car, I don't want to have it compete in anything, but capable if I decide to once or twice. I want reliability, not max performance, I just want a strong tranny that is quick and able to handle atleast the amount of HP i plan to put to it (350whp)

My whole thing was, does it make more sense to buy a 5spd and built it up, or buy a 6spd and do some minor work to it

so.... yeah. options?