Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

I Might need some advice! HELP

Old 01-26-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I Might need some advice! HELP

Okay heres the deal! When me and my Bro put my Gt-spec headers on with up pipe we of course had to to the 3" perrin DP off! While we where doing this i was thinking to myself " That gasket might not hold up since it has already been put on". ANY ways, last night i decide to pop the hood and inspect it....

First of all when i rev it up a little i can smell exhaust riight where the turbo is!

2nd... it pops like a back fire right in the area where it connects to the turbo!

3rd... i really havent been able to hit target boost and ive notice boost hitting 15ish then 17ish... I know it isnt a boost spike issue because i have everything tuned perfect....

So i went ahead and ordered a gasket from jscspeed. because im thinking its leaking.

Some advice will help.......
Old 01-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Am I OG Yet ?

crucial racing copper gaskets. why ppl spend $$ on anything else is beyond me.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 AM
CHILLING SPREE!!!

Maybe when the car is cool have you bro plug the exhaust tip for a sec and you listen at the turbo for a leak? whats your target boost supposed to be?

SnowMan Tuned
Old 01-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Gravel fiend

Originally Posted by 813_05_STi
crucial racing copper gaskets. why ppl spend $$ on anything else is beyond me.
I bought them when I did the turbo swap and got the manifolds ceramic coated. Currently, there is a leak somewhere. I'm not buying another set.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:09 AM

You need to contact Jeremy about that^^^
Old 01-27-2007, 10:16 AM

Well im going to see if i can find out where it is coming from! the car is cool so ill be abe to touch and feel for air pressure coming out. BUT im thinking it could be the up pipe casket....?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Secret Squirrel

odd, i've reused those gaskets many many times with no problems.
how do you know it pops right in that area?
with headers, the metal is thinner, so you will hear the after fire in them more.
is there black soot around it?
anywhere there is an exhaust leak, there will be soot. just like the tip of your exhaust.
now i'm not saying it isn't the gasket but giving you some ideas to look for before you tear her apart. yes an uppipe gasket leak could cause a little boost issue.
this is all assuming that you are talking about the uppipe gasket.

if you are talking about the downpipe gasket then that is a different story. the pops would be heard there, but it wouldn't cause a loss in your boost at all, since the exhaust is already past the turbo.

edit: i typed this before i read post #6
Old 01-27-2007, 01:10 PM

okay! so i went out there and looked at when it was cool.

Okay, when i put my hand under the dp (basiclly where i cant see) there is like water/a little air i am feeling....

2nd i doubt its the up pipe gasket because that one is brand new. the dp gasklet has been re used twice.

3rd the back fire only happens when i rev it up a little and it is coming from that area.

Oh and when im sitting inside my car, it seems like i can hear the exhaust alot more coming from the engine bay.....

Last edited by ryan_west06; 01-27-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:18 PM

not a hard fix if its the downpipe gasket i tried reusing the stock one when i did my dp and had the same problem.

you dont even have to take the downpipe off to change the gasket just undo the bolts push it back and put the gasket back on.

6 letters spell it, 5 lifters be ticking on it, 4 cams spinning on it, 3in cutout on it, 2 heads flowing on it, 1 turbo creeping on it, SUBARU.
Osecuroms.org Opensource Stage II 2006 wrx 281 downloads and counting
Pm me about Subaru Tuning

Old 01-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Secret Squirrel

i'm kinda lost here. what exactly is the problem?

that you have an exhaust leak, or you aren't hitting boost?

exhaust leak doesn't necessarily mean boost problem. if it is a boost problem then you need to fill in a lot if questions. like what em setup, boost control, and parts setup? were these parts put on after or before tune? who did the tuning?

edit: just to put it back out there, i have the same down pipe gasket that came on my car 2 exhausts later and countless times taking the exhaust off.