Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

I Might need some advice! HELP

Old 01-27-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im really not having problem hitting boost. im pushing 17psi on AP stage 2...

sometimes it doesnt hit 17 psi....

Im frustrated because The exhaust sounds like crap!!! and it seems to be coming from the DP. When i put my hand under there i feel water/ a little air coming from there. i cant see if there is soot because i havent taken it apart yet. Im sure the answer to my question is i need a new gasket and call it a day.... Im ordering one right now.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Secret Squirrel

did you equally tighten all the nuts/bolts?

was it tuned before or after the new parts were put on?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:40 PM

yes equally tighten all the bolts.... after i put my gt-spec headers on with up pipe the exhaust seems alot louder which makes sense... but when im driving the car in low rpm or when i get on it. I can hear alot of ehaust noise from the turbo in the car. even my friends say stuff about it.... thats what made me inspect it.... now im just worried the gasket is blowin on the bottom.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Secret Squirrel

Originally Posted by fat angel

yes you will hear a lot more noise with headers and a cat free uppipe.
the stock headers are about a 1/4" thick some spots even thicker. were as your new headers are a lot thinner. so that sound will be heard. yes a lot more noise.

Last edited by fat angel; 01-27-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:44 PM

hasnt been tuned yet because im in the process of getting out of the army! As of now im just running AP stage 2
Old 01-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Secret Squirrel

Originally Posted by ryan_west06
I know it isnt a boost spike issue because i have everything tuned perfect....

hasnt been tuned yet because im in the process of getting out of the army! As of now im just running AP stage 2 Today
more than likely, your new header and uppipe is causing a problem with the off the shelf cobb map. that's why you are having the boost problem. you're clearing it's throat and it doesn't know what to do.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:50 PM

no man! it was doing this even before i got the AP! Ive noticed a big difference in the stage 2... it pulls much harder and im happy with it....

Im just going to order a new gasket and see if that cures my problem
Old 01-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Secret Squirrel

you shouldn't have been hitting 17 before the ap. after the ap yes you should be hitting 17. the stage 2 map is not designed for headers. that is the piece that controls your boost. the only leak that will cause a boost fluctuation is a leak before the turbo. you are not tuned to perfect, in fact it's a little far from perfect. yes you will notice a big difference in the stage 2.

my advice: replace the gasket to maybe get a little less noise. then get a tune. you are after firing at idle because you are running rich(all off the shelf maps are rich). your boost should be smoothed out and good. some extra noise will be there.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Am I OG Yet ?

Originally Posted by Alizarin
I bought them when I did the turbo swap and got the manifolds ceramic coated. Currently, there is a leak somewhere. I'm not buying another set.
If you call them and let them know they will replace them. Some have found defects or soft spots in the gaskets and CR has sent them new sets. If you use the same pieces thoes gaskets will out live the car. I have used them on 3 cars and never had an Issue, and they have recieved nothing but praise on the other forums except for the defective gaskets.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Secret Squirrel

Originally Posted by 813_05_STi
If you call them and let them know they will replace them. Some have found defects or soft spots in the gaskets and CR has sent them new sets. If you use the same pieces thoes gaskets will out live the car. I have used them on 3 cars and never had an Issue, and they have recieved nothing but praise on the other forums except for the defective gaskets.
i've used the coppers on other cars before, they are good. between them and the oem gaskets i 'd use them, only with the copper spray and i wasn't planning on taking them off for awhile. gaskets are gaskets in the long run, they serve one and only one purpose.

to have to take things off to wait for a replacement gasket is more of a headache than just buying an oem gasket the first time.